Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What to do with 75 2.0 914?

While searching for a trans for my 74 914 I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up--a 75 fuel injected complete 914 with a 2.0 for $1000. The body is good, little rust, seats and carpets are thrashed, Fuch wheels, cracked windshield, everything else appears to be there. It was garaged for over 10 years becuause of a "fuel pump" issue according to the last owner. I thought since a used transmission was going to cost me 3 bills, buying the whole car for $1000 was a smart move. Now I'm not so sure I should part out the car?? I was thinking of keeping the engine, transmission and wheels and trying to part out the rest to recoup my investment. What does everyone think?
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 06-29-2005, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
dunno if you'll recoup the 1k on parts after removing the engine, tranny, and wheels... those parts would bring over a grand, but the rest is up in the air...

if the seats were in near-perfect shape: $75-100 each...
crack free dash: 100+
crack free targa bar: 100-200
if the shocks/strut inserts are good aftermarket(koni or Bils) 100-150/pr

what i'm getting at is that there would have to be a lot of little parts to make up the 1k...

IMHO/what I would do...
fix the rust, if it's not too bad...
if the 2.0 runs, put it in your '74, with the intention of a rebuild for more performance later,
put the 1.8 in the '75, and your old tranny... sell the car as needing a tranny...

it would be a little work(swapping the different FIs and all), and I am assumming a lot(that the 2.0 runs, etc)

but fixing the rust properly and selling it as a 'complete' roller will probably net you a little profit even.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Well, you've seen my cars that I am parting out. In fact, you're one of my better customers. I did about $4200 on the black car and it was semi-trashed.

If you've got bumpers, switches, door handles & panels, shifter, steering wheel, etc... you could easily recoop your $1k. Plus, if you keep the Fuchs, you can sell the wheels and other stuff on your existing car.

I have steadily improved my own 914 buy picking up parts cars, keeping what I need and selling off the rest. It has paid for itself but it's definatly not free money - theres a fair amount of labor for dismantling, cleaning, and packaging.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 06-30-2005, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think that was a great deal. For sure you can't lose because you'll at least recover your investment.

If the body is that good without much rust, I would get it running and drive it. It's pretty easy to desmog the '75 and drop some weight, maybe replace the bumpers... it can be as good as any year.

After driving it some, you'll have a real good idea what you should do after comparing it to your other car. It could even end up being your keeper. Otherwise, you can definitely sell it for a profit.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input! Perhaps as I start tinkering with the 75 914 I'll get a better idea what to do. I certainly don't need two 914s...or do I? It would be nice to end up with one nice Sunday driver.
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 06-30-2005, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm in the same boat as you. I've had a 75 1.8 for the longest time and just recently picked up a 75 2.0. My plan was to sell the 75 1.8 but after looking at everything I had done to it I ended up swapping the engine/tranny from each car. I started a couple of days ago and just have the 1.8 install left. Personally, I found that I couldn't give up the performance of the 2.0. It was weird how I started enjoying the "newer" car even thought it was not as nice as my 1.8. Anyway. it may not be much of a difference in HP but it was enough for me to notice (and want to retain).
Old 06-30-2005, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I am very interested in your engine swap! I possibly would swap the 74 1.8 engine & trans with the 75 2.0 engine & trans. The 74 is very clean, inside and out. If you have the time when you're all done, I would appreciate any tips on the swap. I thought I read somewhere the electrical harness for the fuel injection is diffent for a 1.8 and a 2.0?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The harness and computer are completely different for the 1.8 & 2.0 so You will want to retain the correct setup for the engine. The 2.0 has d-jet which has a few more sensors than the 1.8. The harnesses are not interchangeable at all as the sensors for each car are different and in different locations altogether.

If your 2.0 runs now and runs fairly well, I would just swap the engine & trans & wiring. If it runs but not too well, I would get some info on the 2.0's and learn how to fix it up - that's what I'm doing with my car right now since my '74 was originally a 1.8 and I'm putting in a 2.0. (damm, I just got the 1.8 all figured out).

Also, the 75 has a better fuel pump location (in the front trunk). I would reccomend using that setup in your '74.

I'm not certain, but the '75 may have different 2.0 wiring than the '73/74 2.0's due to additional smog equipment but I don't think that will matter - someone else on this board will know the answer to that.

Vern
Old 07-01-2005, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a good link to some 2.0 info:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
Old 07-01-2005, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Computer4Kids - Drop me a line at OmarVilla@officemax.com and I'd be happy to help you in any way I can with your swap. I have successfully swapped in the 2.0 and even started it. By now I do have some tricks and tips on how to do this by yourself.

Just a quick note for everyone. After swapping in my 2.0 I tried to start my car and it just wouldn't start so I decided to swap out the only thing that I had not transferred over, the relay board. I know that these are supposedly the same for all cars. However, after swapping it out my engine fired up right away. Not sure if there's a difference and Wayne's engine drop article made no mention of it. Anyway, it worked for me. Also, I agree with the above comment, you do want to swap the ECU as they go with each respective FI.

One last thing, rent, borrow, or steal an air compressor and an impact wrench and ratchet. It made for such an easy task of loosening 30 year old rusted bolts. Also, get yourself two 2-3 ton hydraulic floor jacks and a pair of 6 ton jackstands. This made the job so much easier and safer too. The 6 ton jackstands are so tall that you don't even have to extend them. They gave me plenty of room to safely work under the car and even allowed me to be able to turn sideways to better access things. However, I must say that I really really want a car lift now.

Last edited by ovilla; 07-02-2005 at 07:46 PM..
Old 07-02-2005, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Ovilla,

It's possible that the reason the relay board switch worked is because the 1.7 & 2.0 cars have a relay for the fuel pump on the relay board & the 1.8 has a fuel pump relay mounted just under the battery.

All of the relay boards are the same but the fuel pump relay socket is either used or not depending on the engine setup.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Ok so heres the deal. Forget about all that engine swapping stuff. What you really need to do is dismantle the engine and sell me the good cooling tin from the 3-4 side of the engine.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
toyvo, send a message to Fred Vollmerson... I bet he has it...
Old 07-17-2005, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: