Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 to VW transaxle

Can a 914 motor connect with a old VW transaxle or would I need an adapter? Thanks Pete
Old 07-04-2005, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There is some specific combination of flywheel and clutch you need. That's it. The topic has been discussed a zillion times on the Shoptalk Forums "Type 4um". http://www.shoptalkforums.com .

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-04-2005, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Pete,
What are you gonna do with this combination? Is this to go into a street bug or a buggy? As Dave said, all you gotta do is clutch part swapping. I know some guys that have done what you are thinking about. On both street and buggy applications. The buggies are a snap the full body cars are a little tricky. Well in the car you have to think about the body modifications to accommodate the size of the engine and the cooling tin has to be built to seal off the cool air from the heated air.
If you are looking for raw power for hill climbing, don't use the Porsche, instead go out and find a wrecked VW rabbit and beef up the 1600 water cooled engine, use the transaxle from the Porsche 914 and now you got a mid engine buggy and nothing sticks out behind the wheels. Is a lot more work but a lot of fun.
I have seen this application 3 ways: 1600 water cooled VW, Mazda rotary engine (a freaking dart), and 1600 air cooled VW(punched out to a 2200cc.) Good luck with you idea.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh Pete, you said old VW transxale if you are talking about 6 volt now you have a problem, the flywheel is too big. But this too can be fixed with a little grinding and an automatic transmission starter.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Toyvo, I recently aquired a Devin "D" and may upgrade the motor to an 1800 (914). I t does have a six volt setup, but I have done that process in the past. Thanks for reminding me and the info. Pete
Old 07-17-2005, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cool car pete. After I posted my first post I then realized that you said old WV transaxle. And I needed to recant my first post.
You know that I watched an old VW guy take a 1600 engine and put it on a 6V transaxle and he used extra long studs in the engine case. Hooked up the fuel and electrics while out of the car, took an old bel housing (cut off another transaxle) and put it on with 1 bolt and started the engine. With the engine running he use the spinning flywheel to grind out the transaxle belhousing. It was one of the most unusual sights I have ever seen. I don't recomend doing this do to its obvious dangers. But it worked like a champ. He also built a mid-engine trike. But that is a differant story.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think all you need to do is acquire one of the smaller diameter bus flywheels, have a pilot bearing pressed into it, and, clearance the bellhousing of your tranny.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I may be wrong here but the small VW flywheel uses a gland nut and the Porsche crankshaft has 5 bolt holes. I also think the 2.0 flywheel on a bus has a gland nut, but I am not sure.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah, the t1 Bus engines utilize a gland nut, any of the t4 Bus engines use the same 5 bolt flywheel attachment method as the 914 because it is the same engine (essentially). The 228mm Bus flywheel is too big for the 6v tranny, but the smaller size I think will work. It has definitely been discussed on the STF numerous times.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Get yourself a 210 or 215mm Bus flywheel.

Have the center section bored out to accept a T1 input shaft bearing.

Run the appropriate pressure plate and a good 200mm T1 disc.

Run this in a 12V or modifiied 6V trans. You need tohave a 71 or later T1 trans that has the throw-out bearing sleeve, or an adapter.

Here's what my flywheel looked like for my 2270 into a T1 trans...

Good luck with it!!!
Tom
Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: