Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 914 Wheel Specs

I've read in a couple of places that the old VW 4-bolt wheels will fit my 914. Truth or not??

Also, I've found conflicting info on the bolt pattern and offset measurements for the stock four lug 914. Anybody have any info??
Old 07-08-2005, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The bolt pattern, 4x130mm, is identical to that of the four-lug VWs. However, Bugs put their wheels much further to the outside of the fender than 914s do. So with some Bug wheels, you can only fit 165-width tires under stock 914 fenders!!

I never remember which direction "offset" goes, so I always remember "backspacing". To fit 195s or 205s under stock fenders, you will need just under 5" of backspacing on your wheels. That is, you need about 4 3/4" distance from the most inboard part of the rim, to the plane where the wheel fits against the hub.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-08-2005, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the Info!!. I was thinking about putting the GT Flares on it. If I do, will that solve the clearance issues with stock fenders?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It certainly gives you more space toward the outsideof the fender. How much more depends on the exact flares you use, how they are installed, and so on and so on.

In other words: "Yes, probably."

--DD

Old 07-08-2005, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Thack
What is so great about these bug wheels that you would consider flares? Any pics?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just curious. Will 14x6 4-lug wheels from a 924 fit on the 914?

Thanks...
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Lightbulb Wheels, Wheels, Wheels......

Thack,

I'm interested in running the old style Centerline wheels. I like the style and they look great with a good polish. Another plus is that without any openings, brake dust on a freshly polished wheel is kept to a minimum.

The interest in VW wheels is that I've seen Centerlines on VWs and I hope that I can pick a set without paying out any important body parts. As far as flares go, I can only say that I like the look. The current fenders are fine, but those flares look better!!
Old 07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf1

Thanks...
NO

Wrong bolt pattern, the early VW Bug rims sorta fit and very early Maserati' rims will fit (hubcentric feature needs to be modified on the front hubs)
Old 07-11-2005, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I like the style and they look great with a good polish. Another plus is that without any openings, brake dust on a freshly polished wheel is kept to a minimum.
and the centerline rims are great for overheating your brakes since they allow no venting for cooling air
Old 07-11-2005, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf1
Well, you can make anything fit if you have a sawz-all and a welder.... But no, they won't bolt up. The bolt pattern is different.

--DD

Old 07-11-2005, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Thack
I like those gold wheels too. The cool thing about 914s is that you can modify them easily and cheaply in some cases.

Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Diamond racing steel rims. 15 x 8 with 4 1/2" back space. They will fit under your flared fenders and give room for a 225/45-15 Hoosier.
Anything less would be Uncivilized.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Mike, Overheating brakes??

Quote:
Originally posted by mike mueller
and the centerline rims are great for overheating your brakes since they allow no venting for cooling air
Mike, I've never heard that about Centerlines. Does overheating occur during normal driving or just track conditions?

If it is a major issue, I could put in vents on the flares to compensate. But that would start become to much work for a wheel that I want just for style and ease of maintenance. Then again, fender flare vents would look pretty cool too!

Robert
Old 07-12-2005, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: