Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rear Trailing Arm - Stiffening

I was just wondering......

Although I have never raced my car and I probably won't (at least not anytime soon), would there be any benefit to the boxed stiffening kits being installed.

I'm asking because I am currently replacing the rear bushings and I'm going to bead blast the rear trailing arms and either paint or powder coat. I figured that while I have the suspension removed from the car, maybe I would install one of these kits before painting.

Just a thought and any tips would be appreciated.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Boxed trailing arms are like tits on a boar hog, worthless. The stock trailing arm is a strong and rigid piece. Unless you slam sideways into a curb at significant speed, they will retain their shape, boxing the arms will not help in this case. A much more significant concern would be the integrety of the arm to chassis mounting, much more suseptable to distortion than the trailing arms, as such.

Phil
Old 07-18-2005, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by philinjax
Boxed trailing arms are like tits on a boar hog, worthless. The stock trailing arm is a strong and rigid piece. Unless you slam sideways into a curb at significant speed, they will retain their shape, boxing the arms will not help in this case. A much more significant concern would be the integrety of the arm to chassis mounting, much more suseptable to distortion than the trailing arms, as such.
if you hit something hard enough to bend the trailing arm, guess what happens when you have a boxed trailing arm?
you'll be bending the chassis instead ...

what's it gonna be? a new set of trailing arms or a full day of setup and another day of stretching on a celette bench?

Andy
>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original)
>> 1975/73, 914 Limo (Custom)
Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: