Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HELP!! Master cylinder problems!!

ARG....frustration mounts and plot thickens
I just got finished installing Pelican's super brake kit on my 914/4, and rebuilt my master cylinder, filled it full of fluid and absolutely nothing happens. New brake fluid is leaving the reservoir and I get new brake fluid at my calipers when I try to bleed them, so I know it is going through the system, but my pedal feels like it isn't attached to anything at all. There is close to zero pressure in the system; enough to move a bit of fluid through and enough to get a little pressure at the bleeder screws, but that is it. The pads don't close, the pedal falls to the floor. What is going on? All I can think of is that there is air in the master cylinder, but would fluid get through to the calipers if there was air in it? If anybody could tell me what the heck is going on, I would really, really appreciate it.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, fluid will run through it but there can still be plenty of air inside. Then this air just gets pushed down the brake lines to the calipers. If you take a typical (non-914) master cylinder having the reservoir mounted directly on top, loop the outlets back into the reservoir with clear tubing, and pump the fluid, it takes a fair amount of pumping to finally get all the air out. On the 914 it's harder to bench bleed the MCs. All you can do is keep pumping. You can take some rubber or vinyl tubing from one of the front caliper bleeders back to the fluid reservoir and it might make it go a little easier.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: