Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Other Porsche's seats in a 914

Just a question off in left field here. Is it possible to fit seats from another Porsche into a 914? From a 924, 944, 911, even a Boxster, or are they too wide to fit within the back pad? I know it might look strange having a seat that reclines in a 914, but I'm just wondering. Possible perhaps with removal of the back pad and modification of the seat rails?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You could fit 916 seats
Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you know how to weld, you can fit anything.

But the short answer is, "Not really." The 914 seats are pretty unique among those fitted to street-going Porsches. They are very low, and not very wide or deep. Most other Porsche seats will not fit into the opening in the backpad, unless you do some real surgery to the backpad itself. And all of them will put you at least 2 or 3 inches further up inside the cockpit. Notice that all of the modern seats are at least a couple inches taller from the top of the seat cushion to the bottom of the seat itself. And that ignores the seat rails and mounting mechanism!

I know of people who have put seats from other street cars in their 914s, but all of them have lost significant amounts of headroom and legroom because of it. Those who kept their cars set up that way were not tall enough for that to be an issue. I am--I brush the roof even with the stock seats!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-19-2005, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ah, of course, I forgot about the seat height issue. We do practically sit on the floor in the 914. I was thinking of a way to get more lateral support when I saw a picture of some Boxster seats and it got my mental gears turning. I've noticed that you can pick up a set of 911 or 944 seats cheaper than 914 aftermarket "sports" seats. I also like the idea of preserving a more "factory" look as well, rather than going with Corbeau's or something like that on a street car.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: