Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electrical woes

It all started when I removed the speedo to do the odometer gear fix. By the way, the tech article was very helpful. And yes, I found it was much easier to take the faceplate screws out to allow more room for the wheels when removing and replacing. The pot metal gear was the culprit. Anyway, while I had the instrument cluster out, I thought I would make sure all my lights were working. I've never had the turn signal indicator working since I bought the car. I found the bulb was just fine but there was no voltage in the blue/white wire when the turn signals or 4-ways were on. I took the flasher out and found it only has 3 terminals instead of 4. Looking at the schematic, it looks like the stock flasher unit has 2 relays, the coil of one which is energized by the output of the other. I will try to find a suitable replacement for this unit. The problem is, now when the ignition is turned off and I flip the turn signal lever down, the turnsignal light, front and rear, comes on as well as the side light on the left side. It doesn't flash, just steady on. When I flip the lever up, the same thing happens on the right side. When I start the car and operate the turn signals, they function normally. The side lights only come on when I pull the headlight switch. What's going on??? I've gone over the schematic in my manual, and it looks like the only way the side lights get power is from the headlight switch. Why would they come on with the turn signals when the ignition is off? Do I possibly have a faulty headlight switch?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That's the European parking light 'feature'. Works as designed.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Guy,

So if I get out of the car with the turn signal lever on, the lights on one side of the car will be left on?? I never noticed this before.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, there's a set of contacts in the turn signal switch that will turn on the parking lights with the ignition off. I have them marked on this diagram .
Old 07-23-2005, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Guy,

Thanks for the info and the diagram. I'll try to remember to center the lever before I leave the car or get to the back of the switch and cut those wires. Thanks again!!
Old 07-23-2005, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: