Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Uh-oh, oil pressure light. Pls advise.

Drove the car quite a bit today and tonight (for me) and at the end of the night, after 5 minutes of idling followed by 5 mins at 3000rpm the oil pressure light started to flicker when I pulled in the garage. Ambient temp is about 75F. It went to solid green when hit the brakes after backing up out of the garage to take the babysitter home, then the same thing when I stopped from backing up at her house. Oil is right on the full mark and clean; it's 10W-30, I put that in back when I was running it in colder weather and don't know why I never switched to something heavier. Anybody experience this with lighter oil? Guess it's time to throw in some 30W or 40W and see if I'm not pooched.

Why would it go solid green from backing up and hitting the brakes if the level is full? Even if the pickup is at the front of the engine that doesn't seem to make sense.

Can you change the oil pump without dropping the engine? I know it's usually bearing clearance that causes low pressure, but thought I'd take a look at the pump if I need to. Had a bad pump on an old Buick V6 once where the gears wore into the aluminum cover plate. Popped in a new high volume pump and the pressure was never less than 40, even at idle.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The pump can be replaced with the motor in the car but it's got to be a royal PITA. Look through the tech articles here or do a search on the 914 club board. Try running 20-50w. Seems to be the choice of most of the people I know.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

First thing is to check the fuses, especially to see if any have been knocked loose as the 5th one from the right can have some strange effects if it is bad. If all the fuses are bad, I'd say to get a mecanical pressure gauge and an extension line. Remove the pressure sender and put in the mechanical gauge and see what the pressure really is. If the light comes on or flickers at idle that can happen but at 3000 RPM it should be good. the wiring could be hitting when the car/engine moves or something? Good luck
Old 07-23-2005, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks for the replies. I'll try the mechanical gauge (have one in the toolbox, just need a 1/8NPT extension) with the thicker oil. The light was flickering/going solid at a slow idle (500 - 600) but was out at any speed above 1,000 rpm.

Regards. Will
Old 07-24-2005, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: