Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear Brakes/Emergency Brake

I have recently put a 914 back on the road after sitting garaged. The right rear brake squeaks a little when you first drive it and the emergency brake does not work.

I jacked up the car with all four wheels off the ground. All the tires spin effortlessly and quietly except the driver's rear. The brakes drag a little and the "squeaky" noise is coming from it. The brake pads look good and the brake surface is shiny and smooth (no rust). I asked the local porsche mechanic and he said the calipers needed to be rebuilt which he doen't do and suggested finding a used caliper???

What do you think? If I find a caliper that the owner says in good condition and the emergency brake levers move freely is it a simple swap or for a professional only. Do I need to swap both rear calipers or just the problem one? If it is a bolt and swap, do the surfaces need to be resurfaced if they are smooth and rust free? Sorry for all the questions...I've never dabbled with brakes before.
Much appreciated
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 07-24-2005, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's a simple swap--just remember to bleed the brakes and adjust the venting clearance after you have the new calipers on there.

Rebuilding the rear calipers can be done; there's a Tech Article on the subject elsewhere on this site. (Hint--check the 914 Tech Articles section. )

One of the guys over on the 914club board rebuilds rear calipers, as well. I think he's got a note in the "member parts and services" section of their BBS.

I would check the venting clearance on your current rear brakes; use half of the clearance numbers specified in Haynes. I believe that our brake pad replacement Tech Article also addresses the venting clearance adjustments.

I would also check the parking brake lever movement on the calipers, and check the cable movement--does the cable actually pull on the levers on the calipers and move them?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-24-2005, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Before you get too carried away with rebuilding or swapping, did you try adjusting the calliper? There is an adjustment bolt that you reach from behing the trailing arm (using a star bit I think or an allen head?). There is also one on the side that faces you when you have the wheel off. Anyway, it's possible that you just need adjust it.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll try the adjustment. I'm suprised that the German car mechanic that I asked this same question didn't suggest adjusting the calipers. He instantly said the calipers are probably stuck and needing rebuilt.

I thought since their are no leaks and all looks good, there was a way to loosen the one caliper from slightly dragging the rotors.

Thanks again
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 07-25-2005, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: