Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jake Seidel Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Seidel
Kerry Hunter Exhaust

I have a 1972 914 1.7 and My heatexchangers and muffler are bad and need to be replaced. I do mostly street dirving but some autocross is the kerry hunter a good Idea. I like the price 520 with supertrap. That is less than brand new heat exchanger + muffler. How hard is it to install the kerry hunter is it simply just a bolt up situation ? At kerry hunter are they riping me off when I pay 180 for the supper trapp muffler can I get one cheaper elsewere?. I can use all the help I can get on this topic thanks
Jake Seidel
91 Honda Accord
95 BMW 540i FS
Old 07-27-2005, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The headers should just be a bolt-on operation. Except if you break exhaust studs--which is depressingly common... I don't know how the rear of the KH header is suspended, but I suspect you'd want something similar to the stock muffler hanger to take some of the load off of the exhaust studs.

Don't know if the KH supertrapp is only the supertrapp, or if it includes extra stuff, like a way to adapt it to the header. I do know that it will be obnoxiously loud on the street--even with all the disks out of the Supertrapp, which really chokes the exhaust flow down. If Hunter offers a real muffler, try that option. Or maybe see if a local muffler shop can offer you some kind of bolt-on muffler for the headers.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-27-2005, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

personally i would look for a set of ssi HE's for around 200, then get traid wests muffler for 320, it will sound good, have heat and last a long time with decent performance
Old 07-27-2005, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Were do you get ssi HE ?
91 Honda Accord
95 BMW 540i FS
Old 07-28-2005, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you don't want to have to find a 2.0 muffler hanger, then I'd check evil-bay for the 1.7 version of the SSI. If you don't mind going to the 2.0 muffler hanger (you'll have to get a used one, or weld an extension onto yours, or someone might be reproducing them), then you can get the 2.0 SSIs. They're something like $550 for the pair new.

We used to carry them, and I believe that we should still be able to get them, but I'm not completely certain on that--they are listed as NLA in our on-line catalog. Try phoning our Sales staff at 888-280-7799, or emailing john@pelicanparts or glenn@pelicanparts. They're both 914 guys and shouldn't steer you wrong. They should be able to tell you if we can actually still get them.

Note that SSIs are a bit louder than the stock exhaust.

Power gains over the stock muffler, even with the Triad, are fairly small. The real header system is where you can make decent power gains. But again, you'll lose all semblance of heater or defog.

--DD

Old 07-28-2005, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Tangerine Racing has a heater on his Header.
For the Kerry Hunter I would put a Magnaflow or something like that (Not Flow master).
Any good wrench should be abe to figure out a way to suspend the exhaust from the rear of the transaxle.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
A solid hanger would be much preferred over something made out of water-heater-strapping material. Which I've seen more than once.

The Tangerine Racing is simply the best header you can buy. And it costs like it--roughly double the KH setup! But his Phase 9 mufflers are actually just about streetable. And there is an option (not sure it's been used on a 914 yet) to add heat-exchanger wrapping to one pipe, which at least gives you back your windshield defogger.

--DD

Old 07-28-2005, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

European Racing Header is a good "mid-grade" between KH and Tangerine. i've run mine for a couple years now and it has stood up nicely, and produces nice power. it also shares an excellent feature with the Tangerine: stub pipes -- making it much easier to install.

HPH carries it.

http://www.highperformancehouse.com/

btw, review the procedure for reparing broken exhaust studs now -- before you begin. i have only once removed an exhaust without fubaring at least one exhaust stud... pain in the ass.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have the Kerry Hunter System - Headers and Supertrapp. Here is my take.

The system produces the most power if you use more than 12 disks in the Supertrapp, but at that point it is hardly a good solution for the street - great for AX however! It will make equal or even a little more power than your stock system with 7 disks and will be quiet enough to live with on the street - still a little noisier than other aftermarket systems.

My biggest beef with the Kerry Hunter system is over all quality is not good compared to the other systems. The end of the tubes on my system had to be filed flat to stop exhaust leaks. Overall tube thickness is less on the Kerry Hunter system. The Kerry Hunter system doesnt use the stub tubes which I prefer. The paint on the headers was flaking off before I installed it on my car. The Supertrapp muffler rusts faily quickly too.

You can buy that Supertrapp from Summit Racing for around $120. It is a 2.5" inlet and is 18" long. Dont forget you need a way to mount the muffler if you dont get the kit from Kerry Hunter. He includes a bracket and straps that fit the SuperTrapp very nicely.

The European Header is the best value from the 3 systems I have seen. Nice quality and great value when compared to the Tangerine system.

I have a real hard time with the prices all three makers of these systems charge. I bought a beautiful stainless steel header for my other 4 cylinder car that has far better workmanship than any of the 914 headers for $250! The cheapest Tangerine system with the heat exchange and a muffler is easily over $1500. Think you'd be better off going with stainless steel SSI stuff.

Last edited by Grantsfo; 07-29-2005 at 12:36 PM..
Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
If I had all the plates in is the will the muffler not pass inspection?
91 Honda Accord
95 BMW 540i FS
Old 08-02-2005, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Were would I get a muffler other than the super trap to fit the kerr hunter headers?
91 Honda Accord
95 BMW 540i FS
Old 08-02-2005, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: