Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

solid tranny mounts

hey everyone~
I'm pretty sure that i have seen this topic posted before but i couldnt find it anywhere so ill ask away, can anyone tell me about the solid tranny mounts that Pelican sells? who has used them? what did you think, etc...basically im en-route to build a really tight street car, and i figure the added stiffness would be good?
thanks and happy holidays
-BBM

Old 12-04-2000, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
I have used them and so has Jeff Shyu (oredith). They will make the car vibrate more, but the flex is gone, translating to more instant motor response.

GPR is another supplier. They are cheap BTW...
Old 12-04-2000, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Does it help shifting at all?
Old 12-04-2000, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

We have the solid tranny mounts on both our 914s and there is a little more noise and vibration that was noticeable on the stock car. I don't think the shifting ability changed, but there will be no change due to deteriorated stock mounts over time as we had before. I'd recommend getting the 12mm mount bolts about 25mm to 30mm longer and double nutting the large and small mounting bolts as they will tend to viberate loose.
Old 12-04-2000, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I second John's advice concerning the double-nut approach, for peace of mind, for when I first installed solid mounts I nearly lost both nuts within days. I found I had enough room on the stock 12mm bolt to fit a second nut, just flush with the end of the bolt, and it's held for years. Whether it's the oil we tend to lose underneath wetting the area, vibration, I don't know specifically why? But I hate to use the tactic of over-torquing anything when a second nut will fit.
I have only single nuts on the two per side 8mm bolts and they have never loosened.
Can't comment on shifting improvement as other linkage mods. were made at the same time. But the windshield frame does seem to tell me, particularly at idle, that more engine vibration is transmitted to the chassis than what I remember with stock mounts (71' style crossbar too, so no dampeners where engine mounts at the bar's center, as with the later years).

--john
Old 12-04-2000, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
After installing solid mounts. I lost all four nuts retaining the mount bolts. I was ugly! Fortunately I was barely moving. I drug the exhaust on the blacktop for about 10 feet and every time the axles bound up the whole thing would hop up and down and smashed the Monza on the ground! I said it was ugly.....

[This message has been edited by rich (edited 12-04-2000).]
Old 12-04-2000, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Oh--geesh! . . . I'm Sorry Rich, . . Ah, phew . . . *ouch*, maybe I'm just sick, but I just laughed my ss off on that one. Cause I can just see it too, so clearly. I had exactly that sort of chest-grabbing image go through my mind when I first saw my tranny's nuts hanging and knew I'd almost lost the load.
Almost calls for a new rule of thumb (as in, Got thread? Nut it up.)

--Oh and, for the record, you said '. . . I was ugly!'. I imagine that was probably true too. Know I'd be.

--john
Old 12-05-2000, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
It's a really funny story now, I chuckled as I was posting it. but at the time... man...did I say a few things. To shed a little more light on my explosion of words and actions (tantrum) I need to fill in a small gap. I had just about every part stripped off the shell during restoration. During re-assembly I was laying under the car looking up at the stock bolts and envisioned exactly what was eventually going to happen. I made a special trip to the hardware store and bought 4 fine thread grade 8 bolts with ny-lock nuts to replace the 4 stock nuts and bolts. I drove the car for several months with no sign of trouble. Picture that whole event as discribed above happening, and then you get out of the car, and as you spot the tail of the transaxle and the monza on the black top you realize what just happened... then remembering the trip to the hardware store....and the bolts in the brown paper sack...on the WORK BENCH!!! In my excitement to finally drive this garage queen I forgot to replace the stock bolts! All the thought proccess happened in about a second. The best layed plans....

Old 12-06-2000, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: