Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A/C wiring hummm

So the project is still going. All fuel lines and vacuum hoses replaced. Transaxle overhauled. Sheet metal repaired on engine.
Wiring for engine and F/I system are now in great shape. New exhaust installed. VROOM,VROOM.
But I still am waiting for the new battery pedestal and box. So I started looking at the engine compartment wiring. The fuel pump has been wired to the coil bypassing the relay. "CRAP"
Well lets look at the remainder of the wiring aaaaaand "CRAP CRAP" The 14 pin connector at the relay plate is broken and some big ass white wire has been added to that connector. I am thinking A/C wiring ?!?!?
Also at the front of the engine compartment a wiring loom has been added ( it doesn't look factory, wrapped with tape).
It sticks out the firewall an looks as if it gos down the center of the tunnel near where the clutch cable exits the cabin. The wires are; white 12 awg., black 12 awg., and red 14 awg. Anyone know if this is more a/c wiring? If so I am gonna find the source and remove them. My books don't say anything about the wires at the firewall or the big ass white wire at the 14 pin connector.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Figure out where the're connected, what they're connected to. For instance, what pin does that big white wire connect to in the T-14 connector on the relay board? (What color, what pin number--see Haynes for details on that, or the relay board diagram elsewhere on this site.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-30-2005, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well dave I have a new 14 pin connector ordered and as soon as it gets here I will take the other one apart. I am afraid that if I take it apart now and for some reason the connector dosn't get here for a few weeks (for what ever reason) I might be lost as to the proper location of the wires. Don't you just hate stuff that go's sprong when you take it apart. LOL In the mean while I have some body work to tend to. New battery stance and tray and repair of the rt. shelf panel in the engine compartment. Damn aftermarket A/C installer.
I am going to go to the relay board diag. now and do some compairing.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Full-color wiring diagrams can help you put the connector back together again...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-01-2005, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ok, so i now have the 14 pin connector Ill fill you in on the white wire location after tomorrow. My body guy has installed the battery tray and stance and repaired the wicked ripping job of the a/c installer. Some minor paint is instore for tomorrow and then its on to the rest of the wiring crud.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Here is the skinny. The unknown white wire is the starter wire from the switch. The schematic says it is suppose to be yellow. Someone cut the starter wire at the switch and ran a new wire in its place, then they cut the battery positive wire to the switch and added a black wire from the switch to the battery. I see no reason for this action so I cut out the added black and white wires and reconnected the original wires.
In addition I now have a new 14 pin connector installed at the relay board. The positive wire to the fuel pump is now reconnected in its original fashion, (it was connected directly to the 15 post of the coil).
I am now looking at the 3 wires coming out of the floor tunnel area. I don't think they are a/c wires. I think they are for the volt meter and temperature guage added to the console panel. Maybe one of them is for the a/c compressor????
Ill be going back to the shop later today to continue getting wired.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well I found the reason for the added wiring. The fuel pump relay is not working but when replaced with another relay works fine.
Looks like when it quit running from the bad relay and someone cut the fuel pump positive wire near the coil and spliced in a fuse then connected it to the coil positive. PROBLEM AVERTED!!!
I still don't know why they added the wiring from the battery to the ign. switch and from the ign. switch to the 14 pin relay board connector. I hooked it back up original and it appears to work just fine. Maybe that was the first attempt at a improper diagnostic and repair. The second attempt was to wire up the fuel pump so that it runs anytime the ignition switch is turned on.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: