Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Spun out on the offramp!

So.........Last night I exited a little too fast on an unfamiliar offramp. Unfortunately for me....the offramp was a 180 that tightened in the middle. Haven't spun out in my teener until last night. Started in a 4 wheel slide, then the ass end spun around real quick....and I plowed a row of iceplant off to the shoulder, going backwards. Now.....The problems..... After pulling away, catching my breath, and thanking god that there were no cops around, I got outa there. After about 3 blocks further down the road, it started bucking really bad, and wouldn't idle. '70 1.7 d-jet by the way. Now here's the thing....before getting on the freeway, I put in 5 gallons of fuel from the Shell station. Could there be a chance that it was "bad gass"?? This morning I started it up, and I could barely keep it running. Backfiring through the intake. Timing is fine, point gap is fine. It wont idle for crap without holding some pedal in it. 1st thrid of gas pedal travel it runs like crap until it is about 1/2 depressed, then the engine comes to life.
Could spinning out while it was in gear possibly have spun the engine backwards and caused damage??

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2005, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bad gas? Not likely. Wish I had a more encouraging comment, but the Shell station didn't cause your problem.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think it would harm the engine mechanicals...but you may be right about gas. So you were running pretty low anyway. Two possibilities come to mind-
seems like I remember that the FI can "lose it's prime"
or
coulda sloshed some stuff in the not very full gas tank into the intake and clogged things up. Check yer fuel filter.
edit-
I gotta learn to drive my car better too. I've probed the limits in some open areas and the backend does come round fast if "drifted" too far...

My gallery page

Last edited by SGB; 07-30-2005 at 08:37 PM..
Old 07-30-2005, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check all of your hoses to make sure they're still plugged in securely. Ditto all of your electrical connections. The problem is likely one of those.

Glad to hear you're OK, and the car is not banged up.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-30-2005, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Last year during my last AX run of the day. Raining fairly good. I had the spectacular spin-out. Ended up turning the motor backwards because I didn't stab in the clutch and brakes quick enough.
Blew the vaccum lines right off of my D-jet. Figured out which went where and off I went.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hmmmm. There arent many hoses....just distributor advance/retard, and crankcase vent, and fuel tank vent. Or am I missing one? I will check the diagram. Any other suggestions guys? Does it sound like a TPS problem? And yes.....I am VERY thankful I didn't hit anything, or bang up my ride. The girl in the car, who I was on a first date with was kinda trippin though!!!! Hehehehehehe!!!!

Mike
Old 08-01-2005, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
[ The girl in the car, who I was on a first date with was kinda trippin though!!!! Hehehehehehe!!!!

Mike [/B]

"hehehehehe" indeed. i'd be tripping too. i generally trip out when i'm in a car driven by a fool with no car control or regard for public safety.

ANYWAY, you probably spun the engine backwards, perhaps blowing off a vacuum hose as others suggested. the only thing i'd add is that in spinning a motor backwards has the potential to spike the manifold vacuum pressure in the wrong direction, which has the potential of blowing out the diaphram of the mps.

after ruling out a simple fix such as a loose vacuum hose, i'd do a leakdown test of your mps.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you for your advice. And I am far from a FOOL with no car control or regard for public safety. Thank you very much. Pretty funny coming from a person who mentions someone being scared if he was "your child's T/A".
Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Children, play nice...

Mikey, you've got quite a few more hoses on your engine than just the advance, retard, and vents. Check the MPS hose and the ones to the AAR. But particularly, check the electrical connections.

--DD

Old 08-01-2005, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

sorry mikey. because of an incident w/ a friend years ago, i'm insanely sensitive to street racing/wreckless driving on public roads -- especially w/ unwitting passengers -- but there was no reason for me to jump to the conclusion that that's what you were doing. my apologies for being a jerk.

anyway, do as dave suggested. spinning your engine backwards shouldn't result in engine damage per se, but the problem may be a pita to track down.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thank you for the apology nebreitling. God....I hope I didn't blown the diaphragm on the MPS. I will double chaeck all the electrical connections. Would a plugged fuel filter exhibit these problems??

Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

fuel filter? yeah, could be, but it's got less of a chance of being causally related to the spin than, say, a blown mps or vacuum hose, or even slightly loose electrical connection.

when you spun out, did the engine die?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Considering it happened so fast, I never pushed in the clutch. So the engine was still engaged when I was spinning and rolling backwards until the iceplant off the shoulder brought me to a stop. I know I never touched the brakes though. When I turned the key, it took quite a few cranks to refire the engine. Then a couple blocks later I noticed that something was wrong.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Sounds like a pretty good chance you spun the motor backwards, then. Check all your hoses, and everything in the intake system for anything that could be damaged by overpressure. Check the MPS diaphragm--use a vacuum pump, not your mouth, because you can't create enough of a vacuum for long enough to get meaningful results. You can only tell if it's really bad without the vacuum pump. (You can get a MityVac for fairly cheap.)

--DD

Old 08-01-2005, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

oh, and next time,

"both feet in"
Old 08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I always thought the worst thing to do in a skid was to apply the brakes??
Old 08-01-2005, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

oh -- it is... until you've *officially lost it*

if you start to get loose in a stock 914/4, POUR it on. transfer that weight to the rear and try to steer through it. but once you have made rotation and have *officially lost it*, give it up and put both feet in. you'll end up where you end up.

but of course, DON'T LOSE IT! (unless your on the track)
Old 08-01-2005, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I agree, when you do a skidpad at a driving clinic or on-track teaching, they tell you to put both in when it's too far gone.
You must have been realling moving to spin on an offramp, I'm taken those 270 degree ramps at 45 before and not even getting a tire squeel.
'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 08-02-2005, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Yeah I was really moving.......about 65. But it was blind...looked like just a slight curve till I entered it, then couldn't even see the other end. YIKES!!!! I had never been on this off ramp before, and had enough time to touch the breaks briefly to slow down to around 55. I knew I was gunna lose it early. Im just glad there was iceplant instead of a concrete wall.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I didnt know it was possible to go fast enough to spin a 1.7. Wow! You must have been going down hill. ..glad everyone was ok.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: