Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ignition switch option

Even though I have replaced the electrical portion of my 74 ignition switch, I believe my starting problems are related to the mechanical part of the switch. If you wiggle the key, it seems to do the trick (engage solenoid on starter).

Can the mechanical part of the ignition switch do this even though the electrical portion is new? When I turn the key to the crank position the inner part of the switch around the key becomes depressed inward and stays there even when you return the key to the off position and remove the key. With the switch out, I can seem to wiggle the tumblers to release the steering lock and thus the center tumbler around the key.

Can anyone point me to a used ignition with key or an after market fix for this problem?
Thanks...I've searched Pelican and ebay without any luck.
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 08-03-2005, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, you can have a new electrical portion but the key lock part can cause problems. Mine acts up on occasion too, and I have to make sure I turn it as far as possible to engage the contacts. A lot of these parts are just tired after 30 years.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 75-76 ignition locks do indeed "go in" when you turn them. My 74 has a later lock on it, and it does this very thing. No problem so far with "it won't crank", and it's been that way for longer than I've owned the car. The center can stick in the "in" position when I turn the engine off every once in a while, though, so I cannot get the key out until I wiggle it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-03-2005, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So it sounds like my 74 ignition must have been swapped out at one time or another for a 75-76 since the center goes in when you turn the key.

I found searching for the part number on the steering lock assembly that houses the key tumbler that the "steering lock" part is VW and thus used in many applications in thier bus and the Ghia. New tumblers appeared to be available...but it comes with a VW key (bummer).

Does anyone know if I have to go this route if a Blank Porsche key can be cut for a VW ignition tumbler?
Much Appreciated as always.
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 08-04-2005, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi

I'm in the same boat.. I lost my keys and I think it might be cheaper to buy a used tumbler with key than to have a nw key made.. Can you list the part #'s of VW options I can use? I don't mind the VW key..

thanks
Old 08-20-2005, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you go down to your local "Bug" dealer(PP no no longer carries them), I went to Century Distributors in Visalia, you can buy a band new key tumbler assembly with two new keys for $17 that is an exact fit for the steering lock assembly that it goes in. When I brought my steering lock assembly to the bug dealer there were two that fit it, but only the one with the "cone shaped" black piece that goes around the key functioned properly (no crank position). The picture below is the correct VW key assembly--notice the black cone. The VW application that didn't work properly has more of a flat shaped piece around the key.

I believe the lock and tumbler will fit 72-76 914s. You might want to go ahead and replace the small white electrical portion of the assembly while you are in there. It is less than $10 at the bug shop or consistently on ebay for $9.99. Pelican also has the electrical part still available for $13.50. Be careful, the electrical portion is different for 72-74 amd 75-76.

The new ignition switch solved all my starting problems.
Good luck,
Old 08-21-2005, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: