Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Painting the Florida Orange (914)

Dropped the orange bomber off today. Striped off most everything, fixing the rust, painting the roof, etc.

This is more of a post to share my happiness with the only people who understand, all my freinds are like "You're paying how much?" but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about what else I should do while its in the shop please fire away.

I told the paint guy Napal Orange in a 1975 VW paint unlike the 70-74 914's which use Porsche colors, was this right? It's a bright orange, brighter than Signal Orange, but close.

Thanks

jpn
'75 2.0L FI
was in a former life Napal Orange, currently faded orange with rust, uh, discolorations, soon to be bright and shiny Napal Orange again.

Old 12-09-2000, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Nepal orange is a deeper, richer color when compared to signal orange. You really notice the difference when you put the two side by side. Give your paint guy the paint code on your drivers door post and he should be able to come up with a decent match.
Old 12-09-2000, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
The Paint alone will be about $400.00 per gallon.Sandpaper$100.00. Tape and paper $25.00. Primer $130.00.Clean up Thinner $40.00.Rubbing compound,polishing compound, wax,$75.00.I just painted a 71 type 3 squareback It took One and a half gallons of Chroma One Thats $600. in paint alone.Asyou can see the cost of the materials is nearly a grand and about 250 hours of sanding, spraying,sanding,spraying,sanding,spraying,sanding ,Then you get to rub out car and polish thats three days,then you can wax that takes two days.One last thing you take the car apart and put it back together about 100 hours, lets see $1000.00 plus 350 hours@$40.00=$14000.00 total cost $15000.00 thats how much it costs to paint a car.Steve
Old 12-09-2000, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Left out $750.00 rubber seals,New windsheild,$250.00,Rechrome bumpers,$600.00 New side trim $250.00. Lets see thats$16850.00.I know I can think of plenty more things I bought to finish off the car.This was a striaght rust free car with no body damage.Steve
Old 12-09-2000, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Chroma One is a great finish. I've sprayed about a 100 gal. of it. In my oppinion, I perfer to apply non metalic colors in a single stage system. The color is stronger and richer. Not plastic looking. MHO
Old 12-09-2000, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Don't you just love the smell of Napal in the morning ?
Old 12-10-2000, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
JP

My '72 went into the paint shop 2 weeks ago for exactly the same thing you are doing. I too stripped the entire vehicle down to just a chassis, motor and 4 wheels. Nepal orange it is going to be (a return to its original color. PO painted it red with some real cheap crappy paint that fadded to a dull reddish orange. Truly hideous.) Always bugged me to open the door and see a different color on the door jamb than is on the outside of the door. Comes home tomorrow and I can hardly wait. paint guy tried to convince me that the color is just Cal-Trans orange but I made sure that he got the right color (actually, the color is damn close to the color of a Cal-Trans truck.) While the car was away I buffed all chrome, refurbished instrument cluster, cleaned and "revitalized" all vinyl, stapling the backing back to its original position, pulled rubber off bumpers and then buffed the bumpers out. I have found that Meguiar's has a product called "Endurance" that is a great rubber conditioner. I know people that swear by "Black Chrome" but this stuff has better staying power, won't dry the rubber out and prevents "browning" like Armor-all can't. I got new clips for all the jiggly bits, and also repainted the grills. Everything is sitting in the garage, lined up and ready for the homecoming. If I were a dog, I'd be wagging my tail from the shoulders back!

Herb
Old 12-10-2000, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
When I got the paint to redo my Signal Orange 73 I couldn't believe how bright it was. until I compared it to a place that wasn't dirty or 'faded'.

It is my opinion that when these colours ,the oranges, age they get darker rather than lighter. I figure its due to the dirt and other crud that gets into the paint and won't come out without removeing an unspecified amount of paint(cut-waxing the crap out of it).

Oh yeah, when I got my paint there were 2 L20E's in the book. One was darker than my faded/dirty paint. I went for the light one.

------------------
CWP/VIR
72 914 L20E in rusto.
73 914 L20E 2.0L in resto.
http://members.rennlist.com/a914lover
Old 12-10-2000, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hello Orange buddies, stay with the original, this is "phoenix red".
Please visit http://www.geocities.com/sys_engin/

Old 12-11-2000, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: