Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replace oil pump gasket with O-ring???

I have a leaking oil pump on my latest engine. I should have checked the case before having the engine built but , obviously I didn't. It was leaking a drop every 3 seconds at idle. Now that I have it apart I can see that there is a mark from a screwdriver or pry bar on the case. I've read the tech article on this but the mark goes all the way to the inside edge. I have sanded the case and am ready to put it back together. I'm thankful this is not a street car as I was able to get the fan housing out with the engine still in the car. I am not putting the Melling back in. I spent a little extra and bought an aluminum oil pump. It has an o-ring between the cover and the pump housing. There is a groove machined for it. Any thoughts of putting a correct diameter o-ring between the case and the pump housing instead of using the paper gasket? Any help would be appreciated. It has to go back together by Tuesday night for a race this weekend. That gives me a little time to do it all over again if it still leaks. I wish these 914s were as much fun to work on as they are to race.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: