Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

speedo cable attachment ?

My new 914 (1976, 2.0) came w/ the speedometer cable unattached to the tranny, and looking at the two, I can't see how they would connect.

The end of the cable had a small right-angle piece screwed onto it that has a gear on the inside of a 1" hole -- i.e., it wants to fit over something with an exposed gear.

The tranny, OTOH, has something bolted into it that is kind of hard to describe from memory, but basically does not fit the cable end. Also, the cable is too short to mate w/ tranny at 90 degrees, suggesting that the little right-angle piece does in fact belong there.

Can anybody point me to a decent photo or description of these two pieces and how they fit ? (You know, the kind of thing that would be in a repair manual if it weren't published by Haynes )
Old 08-15-2005, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The drive that comes out of the tranny is a 90 degree alloy piece with a gear on one end and on the same end has a place for an o-ring and also a place for the set screw(bolt) that holds it in. On the other end there are male threads and inside is a square hole for the speedo cable fo fit into. Sounds like the drive is attached to the cable but is not in the tranny?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Okay, I saw a photo of the speedometer drive (listed on Ebay), and it appears that what I have is a speedometer drive that has been separated : the right angle part is attached to the cable, and a stub is attached to the transmission. Looks to me like there is a one gear missing from the stub, and without it the whole setup is useless. Short Answer - time to buy a speedometer drive. Mebee someday I'll be able to check my gas mileage...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

On the "Tech Forums" link on Pelican Parts, toward the bottom of the page is a classifed parts link for 914 stuff--Porsche 914 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted. I have had great luck posting a WTB (wanted to buy) item there.

PS Heres a pic of the famous angled speedometer cable gear. I just this weekend had to swap mine out from my 74 914...only to be suprised that the one bolt that holds the hole mess in had been stripped out from a previous grease monkey. Thank goodness for helicoil inserts.
Good Luck,
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 08-22-2005, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: