Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Center Tunnel Rust Repair

I have removed the sound proofing from the floor boards of my car and was pleased to find that they only have limited surface rust. However, their is allot of surface rust inside the center tunnel. How can you gain access to the tunnel for rust treament and clean up?

Old 11-18-2000, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
By using your favorite cutting implements. Just be careful--there are a lot of important things that run through the center tunnel that you do not want to cut.

--DD
Old 11-18-2000, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Go buy some OSPHO hook shipon nozzel to your air hose turn down pressure add a length of hose about 5 feet long. Using common sense as OSPHO is a ACID! put tube in tunnel and spray while drawing tube out.Excess will dry up. after spray with BLACK OIL it is used on Big Rig 5th wheel coupler it comes in a spray can. Brand name . KEL. Kellog Products Sandusky Oiho 1 800 334 2130. use a small tube over plastic tube repeat above with black oil,lookout this stuff will not come off IT is really sticky grease. Steve
Old 11-22-2000, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Steve, is there any problems with the shift linkage/clutch cable/throttle cable getting covered with the Ospho and the tar stuff? I have some rust converter and was thinking about spraying my tunnel, but was afraid to do it without stripping everything out first.

------------------
Gerald Gore II (Sam)
73 914 350 small block
Old 11-23-2000, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I wouldn't spray anything corrosive in the tunnel until you remove the wiring harness, and fuel lines. Also check to see if your brake lines are as rusty as your tunnel. Strong conversion products may eat through the lines.
Old 11-23-2000, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I might recomend to use Wurth Rust Guard for this job! Use some type of "hose" to apply under spray pressure! This product will "lock-up" the rust and NOT affect much else! E-mail me for more details on your situation! Ed
Old 11-23-2000, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm in the process of rebuilding mine. I have a similar problem with some rust in my center channel. I'm doing mine in an autobody repair class at a local college. The guy there suggests cleaning it out as good as possible and then applying POR 15. He's sold on the stuff. In terms of cleaining out loose rust, I'm removing all of the internals (fuel lines, etc.) to check/replace them. Besides the other normal access points, I can also get in at the end of the center channel through the fire wall. I plan to wire brush on a stick and blow with air and then go with POR 15. We'll see how it works. The guys around me really like the POR 15.
Old 12-16-2000, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
OSPHO will not "eat through"the metal it chemicaly changes the rust to black magantite and evaporates.As for black oil its just greasy.

Old 12-16-2000, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: