Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914-6 runs lousy@<4000rpm

Hi, I'm new to this bbs stuff so please ignore any wrongs I may commit. I bought a 1970 914-6 (duel webers) from an older guy who was storing it for a friend who passed away and left it to him. Hasn't been on the road for 10+ years but was started fairly regularly and driven around the lot some. The car is in really nice shape, little if any rust, and has 42,000 miles on it. Cold start is difficult, starts and dies immediatly and repeatedly until it finally catches and then it idles fine @800 rpm. Warm start is fine. Spits and sputters on acceleration until 4,000 +/- rpm and then it runs smooth and fast. I replaced the spark plugs+plug wires. No difference in running. I can cover all 3 carb intake funnels on the right side and there is no difference in idle, If I cover just 1 intake funnel on the left side the car looses idle and dies. Can anyone help and point me in the direction I should look. Wish I wasn't such a novice on these cars but what can I say, I guess it's just too different from my ford exploder. Thanks for any assistance, skhnorth.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You probably have multiple problems causing the symptoms you have described.
1) The left side of the engine is doing all or most of the work right now due to the throttle linkage being unbalanced left to right. Disconnect the short hemi-rod (ball in socket) linkages on both the left and right banks of carbs and make sure both throttle shafts are controlled by the idle stop adjustment screws, not the linkage. Does this cause the idle to change, it should? Sounds like the left side linkage is too short causing that side to come off the idle screw stops. It would also be best to have a Unisyn synchroniser available before you make any adjustments.
2) I would suggest that you get a full pair of Weber carb rebuild gasket sets, and new gaskets for the intake manifolds as well. Clean, clean and clean again and then rebuild the carbs before trying anything else. Suggest that you get help from someone who has worked on Webers before. especialy for the first time rebuild.
The idle circuit in these carbs is used from idle speed up to 4ooo rpm! The main jets take over at 4000 rpm to red line! You have some dirt in the idle air and gas passages of the carbs, hence the recommendation of cleaning and rebuilding the carbs.
3) Put a very good fuel filter on the car if it doesn't already have one. The orifices in these carbs are tiny and sensitive to dirt. You should also check the inside of the gas tank for dirt and especially rust. Don't just rely on the brass filter screens that came with the carbs. Also it is rather common for air born dust, dirt and rust and water to be sucked in through the tops of these carbs and the debris ends up pluging up the air and gas idle circuits. Some people have added fine mesh screens to the tops of the venturis to keep the air born junk out. These are not easy to find but are a wonderful upgrade.
4) Buy yourself a Weber manual and read up on these carbs.
5) You need a friend who is very familiar with Webers who can help you through the early part of the learning curve. It is difficult but not impossible for you to learn about these carbs all by yourself.
6) Check the condition of the air cleaner housing and its gaskets to make sure they are in excellent condition. Rust and water leaks are what you should be looking for.
7) Are your carb. accelerator pumps working and properly calibrated?
After that many years, they may not be working. The diagphrams can crack with age. These pumps are adjustable so be careful about making any adjustments the adjustable linkage arm.

Congratulations on getting an original 914/6. You have a rare car.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: