Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

compressor mount

I am in the process of installing an AC system in my 76 2L. I bought a sanden 508, but I have no idea how or where to install it. Does anyone have pics? Anyone know where to get a bracket?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
there is a mount that goes on the passengers side of the engine on the front. the compressor is driven by a belt on a pulley that is mounted under the cooling fan. the engine sheet metal needs to be cut/trimmed to accomodate the compressor and belt. the condensor/evaporator (don't know which) is mounted in the front trunk where a huge hole is cut to allow air flow. the engine shelf, also on the passengers side, needs to be "adjusted" for a/c installation.

914 a/c was dealer installed

there are 2 versions; DPD and VPC (?????)

i removed the a/c from a former car because i thought it hacked up the car.

are you sure you want to do this to your car?

if you need pix of parts, i still have many of the a/c parts lying around.
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 08-23-2005, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

if you have a mounting bracket I would like to make you and offer. I have the pully, condensor, evaporator, and compressor. I plan on buying a new dryer, orifice tube, and pressure limit switches. Is there a solenoid to adjust idle when the compressor kicks in?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
no solenoid that i know of.

compressor mount is part of the total package i have for sale.

i will gladly send pix and dimensions to fab your own if you can't find one
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 08-23-2005, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

how much would you like for the compressor mounting bracket only?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Or, if it the total package or nothing, some pics would be GREAT. You can email me at dwight_bordelon@hotmail.com
Old 08-23-2005, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
a/c kit

there is a company in texas which sells and installs the sanden compressor with "modern interior" blower unit which is identical to what came in the car back in the 70s..it is pricey $1800 for kit but works well..and can be self installed without too much trouble .I unfortunitley can not think of the web site name but perhaps another techy can chime in ,,the shop is near Dallas tx
Old 08-26-2005, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm familiar with them. I have designed my own system, ann I just need a way to mount the compressor. I have looked at the engine but have no idea how to pu the compressor on. Does anyone have a photo or a drawing?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

These might help you. I have my engine out and am in the process of replacing the original York with a Sanden.

73 2.0

Last edited by Amark; 08-26-2005 at 11:28 PM..
Old 08-26-2005, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The drive mount is going to be hard to fabricate from scratch. I am having a hard enough time trying to fabricate an adapter to mount the Sanden to the York drive plate. I bought the alluminum bracket below but it isn't going to work.

I have the intallation manuals as .pdf files for both the VPC & DPD units if you want them.

73 2.0
Old 08-26-2005, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My car came with a VPC unit. I converted it to a DPD condensor because it has a bigger fan and will work better with R-134A. I cleaned up the hack job the dealer did on the installation. Made a frame out of 1/2" box tubing and welded it in.

73 2.0
Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If needed I have some spare parts from my installation. I have the DPD compressor mount, fan pulley, and I also have a idle kick up switch (D-jet cars only), and DPD condenser cover (The cone shapped thing).

If you need any hoses I can make them too.

Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 08-27-2005, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hi Kerry,

I am interested in:
The kick-up switch ( is this a solenoid?)
The compressor cover
Some hoses
The york mount.

I'm working on a complete rebuild, so the hoses can probably wait a while. I bought a pulley already, but I'm not sure if it's the right one. can you email a price for the parts you've got?

dwight_bordelon@hotmail.com

By the way - Mark, your work in the trunk looks great.

Thanks
Dwight

Last edited by mr-dwight; 08-27-2005 at 01:27 PM..
Old 08-27-2005, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Here is what it looks like with the Sanden mounted.

73 2.0
Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

More

73 2.0
Old 08-27-2005, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Beautiful. These are the pictures I have been looking for. Thanks for your help. If you can send me the pdf files, I would greatly appreciate it. My email address is dwight_bordelon@hotmail.com.

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Wow great pic's Amark!
I just removed all that crud from mine. I would not recommend installing an a/c on and air cooled engine. It didn't have one from the factory, and Mr. Porsche didn't design one for installation.
Hey it has a removable top and when it is to hot to remove the top I drive somthing else.
Just my 2 cents and probably not worth 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2005, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Looks nice. I'll e-mail you the details and I will take some photo's today.

The "kick-up switch" is a solenoid for a D-jet system. It doesn't bring it up alot but does help. (With some DIY you could mod it to do more). I had it activate anytime the compressor was energized. Works like the AAR but not heat activate it's 12V.

Also, add a WOT switch and/or toggle switch on the dash. If you need the few extra horses just flip the switch to kill the compressor. The WOT will kill the compressor when you stomp on it

A/C is great and if done correctly doesn't detract from the car..it adds to it.

Best of luck

914-6 in the Werks
Old 08-28-2005, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

If you want a very nicely designed AC compressor kit for a 914, just contact IceAC . They have a complete kit to mount the compressor. It uses a v-rib belt and a rotary compressor that is compatible with R-134A. I put one on a 74 1.8L and it's been working for more than 5 years without a problem. The rest of the system is a stock DPD unit.
70 914 /6 Factory Six. (Elwood)
95 BMW 540i (Inga)
Old 08-29-2005, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: