Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to tmblackflag Send a message via Yahoo to tmblackflag
rear bumper hit and lifted up

my rear bumper was hit softly and it raised up some. It doesn't appear to be damage. I heard there is a way to release the bumper so it comes back down.
I can't seem to figure out how. Any ideas?

i attached a pic

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/1223/rearbumper4ym.jpg
Old 08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The rear bumper is held on by 4 bolts, two in the trunk at the outer edges, and two that are located under the fenders.

I would loosen all 4 and see if you can wiggle the bumper around. Or, you might just want to remove all together and inspect. There are some brackets on the inside of the bumper that may have gotten bent. These are steel and may be able to be pounded back into shape.

Be careful when removing the bumper because there are wires going to the licence plate light - you will have to unplug these to remove the bumper.

If you've never taken off the bumper, you will be surprized how light it is - it feels like it is made of foil - that being said, it may have a bend in it.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-24-2005, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

tidyboy, he has a 75/76, and they are the heavy bumpers

now to the correct answer

they are mounted on shocks, you have to pull the bumper, which is 2 bolts underneith, watch out for the light wires as stated. then you have to pull the shocks back out, but i believe they are a one hit item, they might not work after a good hit.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You can look under you car where the bumper shocks go through the back of the car. They are each covered by a metal plate- looking at these might give you an idea if the bumper shock was pushed up through the under side of the car. You'll be taking the bumper off either way though.

After you get the 2 main bolts out as the above email states, you'll need to give the bumper a few good tugs to get it off- I just removed mine because it looked like my bumper was lower on one side. Turned out that it was just the rubber cover that wasn't completely on the bumper.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: