Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electrical Problems

Need help with one of those pesky electrical gremlins. Picked up a '75 2.0 about six months back. The turn signals and emergency flasher weren't working since there was no flasher installed so I put a brand new one in. I would get a constant buzzing from the flasher with the Acces/engine on. When I signal left, no problem. When I signal right, blows the fuse. After trying to figure it out, I gave up and got the car ready for painting, which is now done. I have since put in a new turn signal and wiper switch. I can signal both right and left now (with no buzzing) but the annoying buzzing remains otherwise. Any suggestions????
Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do your turn signal indicator light(s) on the tach. work? Also, does your red warning light on the combo gauge flash when your hand brake is engaged? Do all turn signal lights and the indicator lights on the tach work when your emergency flashers are selected?

Phil
Old 08-26-2005, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Phil,
Do your turn signal indicator light(s) on the tach. work?
YES, the Brake light flashes
Also, does your red warning light on the combo gauge flash when your hand brake is engaged?
NO, the Brake light stays on
Do all turn signal lights and the indicator lights on the tach work when your emergency flashers are selected?

I put in a different relay and the buzzing has stopped. Now I get the normal clicking sound from the relay all the time and the Brake light flashes. When I take off the emergency brake, it continues. All the other lights remain on (Gen/Oil)
Old 08-26-2005, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Missed the last question:
Do all turn signal lights and the indicator lights on the tach work when your emergency flashers are selected?
YES, both the lights and indicator light (Brake) flashes.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey, Good for you, you fixed it.

Phil
Old 08-26-2005, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Unfortunately, not quite fixed yet. The other (actually used) relay does not have the constant "buzzing" like the new one I had in, but now it has the constant clicking sound that the relay makes when the turn signal is on (slightly less annoying). I checked the emergeny brake switch and depressed it, but no luck. Any other gremlins to look for????
Thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If your turn sig. & emer. flashers are selected "off"and the hand brake or brake warning switch (on the master cylinder) is/are engaged while the ignition switch is in the ON position, then the brake warning light on the combo gauge should be flashing. My understanding from you is that the brake warning light is lighted steady in the this condition. If so, then that circuit is miswired. Is that the case?
Phil
Old 08-26-2005, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Phil,
I reset the reset on the master cylinder and that did the trick. These things will keep you young or drive you insane. Thanks for all the help, couldn't have done it without you.
Don
Old 08-28-2005, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Gives me pleasure to help.

Phil
Old 08-28-2005, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
On a 1978 SC - how would one "Reset the reset" on the master cylinder?

Thanks in advance!
2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 09-01-2005, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

acapella8,

On cars equipped with the master cylinder warning switch, there would be either one or two, depending on the model, wires connected to terminal(s) on the switch. The switch is activated by a double ended floating piston of which the alternate ends of the piston are exposed to brake hydraulic pressure from the front brakes and rear brakes. If brake pressure is equal on both ends of the piston, then the piston doesn't move. If either the front or rear brakes spring a leak, then there will be a differential pressure on the ends of the floating piston causing the piston to move in a given direction thereby actuating the "brake warning switch". When this happens, the driver sees this red flashing light on his combo gauge and immediately goes to panic mode.

Phil
Old 09-01-2005, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There will be a reset button on the electrical switch screwed into the master cylinder. That's the bit where the wires plug into. The switch will likely be covered by a rubber nipple. Press the button (or the nipple) and the warning switch should be reset.

The switch will get set every time you bleed your brakes. Some switches evidently reset themselves when the pressure imbalance is no longer present, but others need to have the button pressed.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-01-2005, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
Does anyone have a graphic representation of where the reset switches are located and -- perhaps -- what they look like?

Thanks.
2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The reset button is located just below the connection where the electrical wire attaches to the unit (left side of picture toward the rear). It is covered by a black rubber nipple that protects it. I just pushed it to reset it.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm having almost the same problem except it's more with the brake warning system or so I think. I have a 19mm master cylinder installed and drive the car everyday('72 914) . Recently it sat for 2 days and when I went to drive the car the brake warning light was flashing at all times along with the clicking sound. I've been driving it for the past 2-3 weeks everyday as normal and brakes are fine. The master cylinder has no reset button.

Checked so far: Removed master cylinder switch (2pole) tests-ok
Checked emergency brake button/wire-ok
Bled brakes all around several times-no leaks
Brakes feel normal-after bleeding

Today I removed the master cylinder switch, checked it again(ok), reinstalled, and now the light doesn't flash but the clicking sound(turn signal clicking noise) never goes away.........What triggers the relay to click that could be wrong? Any ideas?

Alex
Old 09-11-2005, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I believe it may be a defective flasher relay.

Phil
Old 09-12-2005, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Phil, I replaced the relay and now I get the "buzzing" noise that is described earlier in this post. Now the new relay buzzes and clicks while the emergency brake warning light flashes. The flashing and clicking are at the same time but it's not an even pattern, sometimes it stays buzzing(sizzling) for a few seconds constantly along with the light on.
For years my turn signals have glowed slightly and the new relay fixed that problem. I unplugged everything except the turn signal switch then one by one added the emergency brake wire, master cylinder switch wires and then the hazard switch. The only one that stopped it from buzzing was the hazard switch when it was unplugged(should I do wire by wire?) Also, when I pull the hazard switch when it's buzzing, the buzzing stops and the hazard switch flashes as normal(no turn signal indicators on gauge flashing normal?). All other lights work correctly.
I opened up the new relay and it only has one set of breaker contacts where my old relay has 2. Do I have the correct relay(914 618 303 11) or should I have 914 618 303 10? It's a 72 car. It seems everyone sells the 914 618 303 11. Is this universal? Any other ideas?
I appreciate the help this one has really got me.

Alex
Old 09-14-2005, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: