Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Throttle body to air filter box seal????

There is a rubber grommet between the throttle body and the air filter housing. The grommet is sealed at the throttle body with a clamp but not at the top where the grommet pushed against the air filter housing. It seems like an easy way for dirt to enter the engine the way it is, or am I missing something?
The seal at the top of the grommet relies on the air cleaned securing clamps (weak at best ) to seal off the outside air from entering the throttle body unfiltered. Is this normal? If so using a K&N filter that fits the throttle body snuggly might be a better option. That is if I can figure out how to route the hoses for the evaporative system to work with the K&N.
Oh by the way this is a 73 2.0 914.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The top of the boot should be firmly held by the metal of the air cleaner; there is an outer ring of metal that goes around the outside of the boot and an inner ring that goes around the inside of the boot. The metal pinches the rubber of the boot and is pretty secure. I was not able to get the boot back into the air cleaner when I accidentally pulled it out; not sure how that could be done. I wound up swapping on a spare air cleaner that I had laying around.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-28-2005, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mine came out when I was doing a rebuild. I cleaned/scraped all of the old material from the channel the boot sits in, cleaned up the boot and managed to re-install it with some rtv.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ok so I am not missing anything. Ill try to glue the boot into the air filter housing and let it dry for a day or so. Thanks for the info. James
Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Make sure you fit test it before you seal it.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same question. I just got a 2.0 and I noticed the seal being really loose.

I just purchased a new air cleaner box off of eBay (I wanted one that wasn't dinged up) and when the new one arrived, the seal was pressed into the filter box very tight.

This tells me that my old filter box had issues and the seal was not sealed properly.

I would suggest using some silicone sealant and possibly using someting to tighten the filter box (i.e., maybe a hose clamp tightened really tight would squeeze the filter box back to it's original shape - then remove the clamp).

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-29-2005, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: