Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Push Rod Tube seal

I am resealing my push rod tubes, My engine seal kit came with some red large seals and some green large seals. Does ant one know which one is the better to use. Thanks

72' 914 1.7 (Saturn Yellow)
64' VW Type 1

Air Suckers Rule!!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't know if the manufacturers have started adding Viton seals to the kits but I threw mine out and ordered Vitons for my car. They work a whole lot better and last longer.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Both

It takes 8 red seals on the block end and 8 green seals on the head end to complete the job.
I believe the old seals were buna-n material and they were all black in color.
Good luck.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Thanks,

I guessed wrong, I put the black ones on the case end and the red on the head side. Glad I didnt put them in yet.

72' 914 1.7 (Saturn Yellow)
64' VW Type 1

Air Suckers Rule!!
Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The two ends of the tube are fairly different in size. If you mix them up, one end will be a real b-tch to put on the tube and the other will fit really loosely...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-29-2005, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a question about these seals. I was looking around under my engine (which, BTW, is covered in oil...) and started to clean up the pushrod tubes. Most of them rotate fairly freely, and some even slide up and down (along their axis) a couple of mm. I'm assuming this is a sign of old/hardened seals, isn't it ?

From what I've read, the seals can be replaced w/ the engine in the car. Just remove the valve cover, unbolt the rockers, remove the retainer springs, and pull the (cleaned) tubes out the head. In my head, it sounds great, but is this really do-able ? Is there clearance for everything, and is re-installing the rockers from down below fairly straightforward ? Unless the job is fairly straightforward, I think I'd rather wait.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It is very doable. Some of the tubes can only be pulled halfway out of the head, but that's not a problem because that's enough to change out the O-rings.

I find that the most difficult part is getting the pushrods to seat back into the cups in the lifters, while bolting the rocker stands on. Note that the rocker stand nuts only take 10 (TEN!) lb-ft of torque, which means both rocker arms for that stand have to be slack when you start. If one valve is open, the valve spring pressure will keep the rocker stand from even snugging up against the head at 10 lb-ft.

It's a little bit of a pain swinging the torque wrench tightening the rocker stand nuts, but it's quite doable. And those are ones you don't want to overtighten.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

thx

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
It is very doable. Some of the tubes can only be pulled halfway out of the head, but that's not a problem because that's enough to change out the O-rings.

--DD
Wow, thanks. That tip by itself makes the job sound much more doable. But torque, schmorque ! I like to really crank stuff down hard as I can so people will be impressed with my manliness...
Old 08-30-2005, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: