Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel Injectors, some ???s

Okay, so on my '76 2.0L I have new rotor, points, cap, wire, plugs. Compression on cylinders is 100, 100, 90, 100. So far so good. Then I did the test where you remove one wire at a time from the disrtibutor, and on cylinder 2 there is almost no perceptible change. So I am assuming it is a problem w/ the fuel injector. Sound reasonable ?

One check I have in mind is to swap the injector between cylinders #1 and #2, just to confirm this. Is there any downside to this : will the seals be destroyed if I so much as glance at them ?

Has anyone had luck cleaning/restoring their own injectors ? Any positive stories having them refurbished ?

I have seen the cost of new stock injectors and it's scary. That and the tales about the MPS... So I'm thinking of installing an old SDS EFI unit I have lying around. But the question is : what type of injectors should I use ? I know that stock injectors are fine, but I think I only have 3 good ones and would like to make the switch to something more available. Will any modern injectors fit the stock intake runners ?

TIA,
Jeff
Old 08-29-2005, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
you can have your injectors rebuilt for about $25 each. i have a set out now at accurateis.com (in fact, while looking for another web address, i saw their ad at the bottom of this page). another place is marren in the NE: www.injector.com

the stock injectors just "unbolt" from the manifold. to me, it looks like the tiny seal at the tip of the injector is the one that needs to be in great condition; the larger one seems to just help hold the injector in the clamp. the small seals are only about $1 each so you should have a spare set on hand.

i don't know about other injectors fitting the manifold. i imagine with your situation and ideas, that you need to test your set up to see if it's going to work, that is, use an air/fuel ration meter to see if all is OK.
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 08-30-2005, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
From what I've seen, an injector "rebuild" is nothing more than a cleaning. They may flow test them and check for spray pattern, but that's it. Nothing is actually rebuilt - the pintel is the same, etc. If your injectors are old, and if they are leaking at all, they need to be replaced with new injectors.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, I'm pretty sure that they are old, and that they are not leaking. Is leaking the primary failure mode or do they ever just get irreparably stuck shut ?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by jsteele22
Is leaking the primary failure mode or do they ever just get irreparably stuck shut ?
you answered your own question...they either leak or they get stuck shut. I have had one that fails the work at certain RPMs...but that.s rare.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: