Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to tmblackflag Send a message via Yahoo to tmblackflag
what is involved in changing the dash?

I'm about to purchase a dash out of a used 914 in excellent shape and i was wondering what obstacles might come in my way.

Is this a fairly easy job?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The dash is held in place with a series of nylon studs and washers. Look under the dash so that you can see what they look like. Some of them are reached by first removing the triple gauges. I think some of them are reached from inside the front trunk and these require you to partially remove some of the hose for the heater. They are difficult to reach so give yourself plenty of time and be patient. If you already have the replacement dash handy, that will show you where the studs are located. When you are tightening the new dash into place, gently tighten the nuts as it is very easy to apply too much torque and pull the studs out.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you're talking about just the dash cap, then everything is accessed from inside the passenger compartment. You have to remove the gauges, the glove box, and the vents on the sides of the dash. (Not sure what 70-71 cars do for access to the outboard nuts.)

I think there were 10 nuts? I have pics of a dash cap around here somewhere....

OK, this sequence starts from the passenger's side of the car. The dash cap is sitting, top down, on the ground.

The two nuts in the instrument cluster area you can only see edge-on. You need to use a shorty open-end wrench to remove them--and a lot of patience. Most of the others can be accessed by sockets with various extensions on them.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-30-2005, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The dash is fairly easy to remove. Just remember that if it doesn't come right off, you don't have all the nuts undone. The dash should lift right off - no forcing necessary.

The plastic nuts are 13mm and can be started with an end wrench. After that, you can use your fingers. The nuts over the gauges are hard to find but there there.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-30-2005, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: