Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Am I crazy?

I've been entertaining selling my 944 and buying either a VW Bus or 914. Am I crazy? I also had the fleeting thought that 914 upkeep might be less than the 944. Am I really nuts? What do good daily driver 914s go for these days? I remember about 3 years ago you could get em for $2500 or so.

My buddy has a 72 Bus and the ways of the aircooled occult are starting to convert me...

I finally figured out what happened to my buddies 914: it sucked a valve. I don't know too much about these engines but after piecing together his story and talking to my friend, it sounds like he sucked a valve. Too bad he let it go for $500 because he had no idea what was wrong and his parents wanted it gone. I knew I should have bought it.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 08-30-2005, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, you are crazy. So are most of us 914 owners. I'm not sure if being crazy is a requirement, or a result, of 914 ownership....

Good 914s are getting more expensive every day. Lots of them seem to be going in the $5K area these days.

Maintenance on just about any car you can name will be less than the maintenance on a 944. You wind up doing maintenance more frequently on a 914 than a water-pumper, but what you do is less involved (generally) and requires replacement of fewer parts.

E.g., we adjust our valves about every 6,000 miles. Takes 30-90 minutes, and often does not even require the valve cover gaskets to be replaced. If you do replace the gaskets, they're about $5 each. Much more frequent than the 944, but the parts are cheaper. If you pay someone else to do the work, it may wind up being more expensive over all, but if you DIY it'll be less cash outlay.

You'll miss the power, the brakes, and the comfort and assurance of the 944. You'll get over that, though, when you start throwing the car around in the twisties...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: