Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

side shift conversion

oh please, please someone tell me that I'm missing something obvious....
so I just finished installing the 2.0/side shift combo into my formerly tail shift car, and while hooking up the shift linkage began to get a very awful, sinking feeling when I realized that the engine seems to be in the way of removing the long shift linkage rod from the inside of the center tunnel. Am I correct in my sad suspicion that the engine/trans need to be out to remove this rod, or can it be taken out some other way? I don't seem to be able to get it at the right angle to take it out through the holes on the interior side of the tunnel. Should I keep trying that, is there something else I have missed, or do I need to drop the engine back out again? I'm going to feel very dumb spending 2 hours dropping the engine to take 7 seconds and switch those rods....
If the engine does need to be out, maybe it would be a good idea to post a side shift conversion guide on the tech article site...I realize that it is incredibly simple, but knowing the order of removal could possibly help save some other well meaning but not too bright soul such as myself
Old 08-30-2005, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I got the shift linkage switched over, but I had to remove the engine mounts, engine bar, and jack the engine up as far as it would possibly go to do it....I feel dumb for not switching it when I had the engine out, but at least I didn't have to remove the engine twice
Old 08-31-2005, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure what's blocking the shift rod but I have removed the entire linkage before without doing anything to the engine. Do you have the correct side-shift engine bar? It's definately different than the rear shift engine bar.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I have the bar that came off of the 76 2.0 engine. I don't know what my problem was, but it sure was a severe pain to get the linkage switched over with the engine in place. It was just that one rod that goes from the shift lever through the firewall, I just couldn't get it out with the engine where it was supposed to be...by removing the bar and engine mounts I was able to move the engine a bit and get it. There is a distinct possibility that I am just very stupid and was missing something obvious. In any case, I got it done! Now I wonder I'm just hoping that the engine is good...I never ran it personally, and didn't have a good way to test it when it was out of the car....oh the drama of owning 34 year old cars....
Old 09-01-2005, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: