Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
upgrading exhaust

looking for some helpful information from some more experienced "techies" on an exhaust upgrade. I have a 73 914 2.0 totally stock (including factory fuel injection) and am looking to possibly replace stock muffler with a more aggressive sounding muffler system. I have read about the triads but am not looking to spend heavy bucks or do any modifications to the lower rear valance (I have the notch cut out on the driver side where the exhaust pipe exits from the muffler)my question is ..of the items offered from Pelican which is considered the best,,,the Bursch...the Sebring...or the Ansa. or is there another product available in the $200-$350 range which might perform better (tourqe range and sound) I appreciate any helpful feedback sstine9 @bellsouth.net
Old 08-31-2005, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

triad makes a version which has the pass side tip pointing down. this version does not require notching the valance.

k
Old 08-31-2005, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Of the choices listed, the Bursch is the one with the best reputation. It is better performing than the Ansa, and marginally better (I think) than the Sebring.

No experience with the Triad setups.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-31-2005, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

best rep and the worst paint in my experience. yrmv.

k
Old 08-31-2005, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jake Seidel Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Seidel
You can look at the kerry hunter sistem. It looks nice but loud
91 Honda Accord
95 BMW 540i FS
Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have run the ANSA (MONZA) and the Bursch back to back and the Bursch is by far better. It runs way better and sounds close to a V8 at idle. I did not believe it when I was told that it would but it kinda does. burble burble burble. The (Monza) that I have is the 4 tip variety and screams. It is loud and raspy and harsh. It makes the car SOUND like it is on steriods. But it performes like a stock muffler. It is also heavier that the Bursch if memory serves me right.
I bought my Bursch used for $80 at a porsche salvage house that is out of business. Do a search for bursch in the classifieds. you may find something. The triad (Tangerine Racing?)I believe is a whole exhaust system. New from the heads back. I believe it is the best on the market as far as a complete system goes. I do not know if there is a heater option. If you want to upgrade the entire system you could get the stainless heat exchangers and a bursch. That would give you great performance with heat. I believe the stainless are a larger ID Pipe and flow well. By replacing everything you may be in to some money so contact Tangerine Racing I know they are the makers of the triad. If they are not I DO know that they have the best whole exhaust system from head to tail. They may have a heater option.
I do have a used monza (ANSA?) exhaust from my 1.7 I do not know if it will fit, but I can sell it to you $75 USD pluss shipping from 92708. It is heavy. E-Mail me if you are interested, I can send pics. tukituki(insert at sign here)yahoo.com
Nick
Old 09-06-2005, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just looked. Triad is not the same as Tangerine racing. Check them both out. Triad does have a muffeler only system and also a complete system. The Tangerine system is the one that has been tested that I was reffering to.
Good luck
Who knew that there were this many options now.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
thank you for your informative input
Old 09-07-2005, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have a Bursch... the paint is bad - burns off after a few hundred miles. In my case a weld that supports the muffler somewhere around the exhaust tip vibrated loose after less than 5000 miles. The chrome tip corrodes even when the car is stored in a garage. Sound is O.K. I would go original muffler if they would not be so expensive. Anyone ever tried to mod. a 911 muffler to fit in a 914?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have a Sebring. Sounds good and is cheap...
Old 09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
thank you all for your imput
Old 09-07-2005, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If it was to me, I would stick to the 2L banana muffler or go all out on the Tangerine System which makes big HP. I had a bursch and it was too raspy and resonated at cruise.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 09-07-2005, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

As far as the paint quality on the Bursch, I had mine sand blasted for $15 and then spray painted it with Hi-temp paint they sell for BBQ grills. It turned out nice, and more importantly, the paint has held up pretty good over 3 yrs and 80K miles. However, that is in sunny southern California. Otherewise, I have no quality or performance issues with that muffler. In total, the muffler is 15 years and 200K miles old.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: