Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First 914 post! airbox qustion....

I bought a 914 a couple of weeks ago and I've been going through it looking at what needs to be done. It runs pretty good but the brakes are in terrible shape. The shocks are worn out and the shifting feels like rubber. Oh yea, it's a 1975 1.8 with L- jet.

The AFM and air box top dont seem to match up correctly here are the #'s

AFM;
0 280 200 020
022 906 301 D

Air box top;

022 129 607

From what I understand this is probably the3 correct AFM but the top might have been switched, thus the ill fit. Does anybody know the correct part number for the air box and does anybody have a source for a cheap used one?

I was fourtunate to find a car taht runs with only a few rusty spots for the price I paid. This is never gonna be a show winner but It'll be a fun and reliible car after a bit of work!

BTW, anybody going to the car show in Ventura this weekend? I'd love to hook up with another 914 owner or two and start my education on the right track!

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Part number for the air cleaner: 022 129 607 K
Part number for the AFM: 022 906 301 ... probably. I think it's the later AFM (75+) that is 473 906 301 ; the note in my parts look-up doesn't quite make sense but I think that's how it works.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-06-2005, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Strange.... the two pieces, when "attached' to one another dont quite line up. There is a gap between them and the holes dont match either. In your AFM part number you ommited the "D". Would that make a difference?

BTW, thanks for the quick reply!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Greetings from an old timer (got my 914 like 3 weeks ago...) Some great advice I saw on this board (I think it was from Dave, BTW) is : "just drive it". Don't ignore brake problems, and fix/adjust the wheel bearings as needed, but definitely take the car out and have fun and resist the temptation to do a big all-at-once restoration. Plenty of folks on this list w/ projects in "progress". My 914 is my second car, and I kind of feel like before taking on any big jobs I need a second second car...

Oh, about the shifting. Very likely it's bushings. A long, tortuous path leads from the stick to the tranny, and most of what keeps the linkage in place is little plastic bits. Look around the "tech notes" for the fix.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

great advice! I bought a '74 VW bus a couple of years ago and ending up doing a rebuild in my apartment 6 months later. I learned a ton of stuff while scratching my head. I'm not really overwhelmed when I look into the engine bay of the 914. F.I is new to me but I think I'm lucky because the only thing that "seems" to be out of wack is the air box thing I mentioned above. I've got a little sputtering at certain RPM's and it needs to be nursed a bit to keep it idleing befrore it gets warm. Cold start valve?

I'll need to get the parts for the trans stuff soon. But I've learned while spending money on the bus... I need to talk to a few people FIRST. thats why I wanna go to the Porsche show this weekend. there are lots of little things not in place on this car and it would be great to have a look at someone elses car to see where stuff is supposed to go and how it's suppoesd to fit/feel.

I have a leaky flywheel seal so that'll need replaceing. I'll probably re-grease the CV's while I'm at it and replace those bushings you speak of too. Might as well do the fan seal and the oil cooler seals and the push rod tube seals while I'm at it, right? Once the engine is out I know from experience that this stuff is not very diffecult. I cant believe I'm sitting here saying that sort of thing. Two and half years ago I'd be in cardiac arrest just thinking about it!

The engine feels strong and has great comperssion. i did a test the other day and I got ;

#1 120
#2 120
#3 130
#4 145

that made me feel good. I got this car for a great price. Now that I'm looking around at what otheres are paying I would say i got a runner for what people usually pay for a parts car with out engine. It needs brakes, shocks, tranny stuff and the paint sucks ( small amount of rust under dash on passenger side and a little ding on the drivers fender) but all the electrics work and as I mentioned, the engine is strong ( 'cept for the leak). I have a SVDA dist. that I got from Aircooled .net I just need to send it to them to get it re- calibrated for F.I. The interior is ruff but a couple of seat covers, a dash cover and 2-3 hours cleaning and I wouldn't be ashamed to pick up a $75 dollor hooker in it...

From what I can tell Pelican is the center of 914 universe so I'll probably be buying the parts here for the support aspect of it. ( whispering...) How are thier prices compared to other companies?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by bottomend
Strange.... the two pieces, when "attached' to one another dont quite line up. There is a gap between them and the holes dont match either. In your AFM part number you ommited the "D". Would that make a difference?
There should not be any gap for air to go through in between the air cleaner and the AFM. If there is, you will suck in dirty air and that can (over time) do a number on your valves and cylinders. But it should not cause any driveability problems, because the intake leak is upstream of the air flow meter--the air that gets sucked in will be measured by the AFM.

The letter suffixes mean different versions of the part. Sometimes the parts were improved over the years, and sometimes they were revised for some completely different application. I don't know if the "D" suffix AFM and the no-suffix air cleaner are from different applications or not. I don't have my Bosch reference here with me--though that particular book doesn't always have the answers in it either...

On my old 1.8, I don't remember any kind of gap between the air cleaner and the AFM. I don't think one should be there, as I said, but it shouldn't give you driveability problems.

...Oh, and Pelican's prices tend to be fairly competitive. Higher on some stuff, lower on some. But when you buy from Pelican, you support this BBS, and all the tech info on the website.

--DD

Old 09-06-2005, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The hole on the air box top is substantially bigger than the AFM if that helps. Weird...

Anyway, it's nice to find people who care about what they do and who value customer support. I'm sure I'll be spending time AND money here getting this car running good!

Three questions;

Sloppy shifting. I've heard about the bushing kits ect. I dont know if it's just me but I can really grind it going into first and second gear.

Sloppy steering.bushings? Which ones, how many and how much?

Saggy rear. I dont even know if there are torsion bars in 914's or if the springs do the lifting. What do I need to check to find the problem? Hopfully a simple shock replacmet will be enough....
Old 09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Bushings help. There's a tech article about "shifting improvements". It was written before the Rennshift came out--if what I hear from a number of people is true, a Rennshift and new bushings will make your car shift like a dream!

First and second gear grinds could be the clutch being slightly out of adjustment, or it could be the synchros on those gears being fairly worn.

If by "sloppy steering" you mean the wheel moves up and down or wobbles, the problem is in the steering shaft. You can replace a bushing in the steering column if you disassemble it enough--it's a pain, though. If by "sloppy" you mean there's a lot of dead-band where you turn the wheel and nothing happens, then I would check the tie rods, the struts, and the ball joints. Those all have to do with locating the steering knuckles.

The rear end of a 914 is supported by coil springs. The front has torsion bars. To get the rear end not to sag, you can replace the rear springs. Or you can swap over to Bilstein or Koni rear struts--some of the ones those companies offer have adjustable lower spring perches. You can move a C-clip to change the ride height, at least to some extent.

--DD

Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'll check into the renn shift thingy. I crawled under the car the other day ( valve adjustment) and tugged on the shift linkage. man! I could move it back and forth like, 4 INCHES! Is that right!? I didn't measure so maybe I'm exagerating but it seem like alot of movement...

The sloppy steering is probably the steering wheel from what you discribed. It's a replacement style and I dont think they did a very good job of " replacing" it.

I've looked at the prices of the rear struts. Lotsa $$ for sure. I just bought a set of Koni's for my bus and they do feel much better but they wern't cheap either. I didn't see springs for sale on your site. I'll keep looking.

Thaks again for all the personal attention to my questions!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
your gap in the air cleaner isn't caused by a missing air filter is it?

it sounds like the top/lid/cover and the body of the air..... box (?) has a gap and a filter element goes there.
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 09-07-2005, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have a '74 1.8 and the transmission was professionally rebuilt by Music City Porche & Audi. Having replaced every conceivable bushing connected with the shift linkage and still having an occasional hard shifting/grinding gears, I found out it was the transmission mounts that were half rotten allowing the tranny to rock during shifting. A couple of 911 mounts from Pelican Parts later, and the shifting is virtually flawless.
deceased '72 1.7
deceased '75 1.8
'41 HD Knucklehead (rebuilding basketcase into chopper)
'74 1.8 (Ravenna green and drivers still don't see me!)
Old 09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'll be sure to check the mounts while I'm under the car to see if they are contributing to the slop. thansk for the reply!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It's misleading to look at the mounts while they're still in the car. You'll want to do it right and remove them before thinking of inspecting them. Well worth the effort - at least in my situation it was.
deceased '72 1.7
deceased '75 1.8
'41 HD Knucklehead (rebuilding basketcase into chopper)
'74 1.8 (Ravenna green and drivers still don't see me!)
Old 09-14-2005, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: