Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porschefan

Send a message via Yahoo to smj
Unhappy 1st post: won't start

After 8 years of waiting and watching, I finally bought a nice 1974 2.0l 914. Flew up to Seattle to pick it up, and drove it back to Berkeley.

Slight problem in Weed, CA -- car wouldn't start. The three month old battery had plenty of juice, could hear the fuel pump (?) when preparing to start, and a small electrical whine when trying to start, but no cranking. Waited two hours since I'd been driving all morning in the sun, but didn't appear heat related. Got a jump courtesy AAA, which worked the first time.

Same problem at my next gas stop, but a jump made no difference. And the same problem every time since. I have to push start the car, which almost always works right away on the first attempt -- I'm grateful it's so light...

Anyway, my Haynes manual won't arrive until next week. I've whacked the starter with a hammer in case it's just "stuck," to no avail. There are still wires connected to it, but I don't know where else I'm trying to check anything. Pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Steve.

Last edited by smj; 09-09-2005 at 11:13 AM..
Old 09-09-2005, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Start with connections. Clean battery posts and cable termincals. Tranny ground strap.

Actually, mine was a bad ignition switch. I used the old screwdriver trick to rule out the battery, connections, solenoid, starter, etc. in a few seconds (car in neutral, quick short between positive post and solenoid tab with screwdriver). It cranked.

If you want a less-crude method of checking that way, rig up a remote starter widget... couple wires, push button switch in the middle, alligator clips on the ends. Clip one to main 12v starter terminal, other to solenoid tab (where large yellow wire connects), push the button and see if it cranks.

If it does, then the fault is in the ignition switch circuit. The switch itself is a common failure point - they crack. Another place to check is the seatbelt warning crap under the passenger seat. I eliminated all of that and just tied the large yellow wire together there.

If it still won't crank, then see if you have 12v at the starter. Check/clean grounds - especially the ends of the braided tranny strap.

Last edited by RandyLok; 09-09-2005 at 11:33 AM..
Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
In the Tech Articles section of this site, we have an article entitled "Starter System Troubleshooting". It is very thorough indeed--go through that, and you should find where your problem is.

To find the Tech Articles section, go back to the main Porsche page of the site. On the left side of the screen, you'll see a "914" section; under that look for "Technical Articles"--click that link. Then scroll down until you see the appropriate article.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-09-2005, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Porschefan

Dave: Indeed, very detailed. I'd already read it, but I don't have the multimeter I'd need (still in storage), and it doesn't help much in terms of locating things. My own fault, I should have ordered the Haynes manual before I bought the car...

Tomorrow I should be able to try out Randy's suggesting for bypassing the ignition switch/system. Had to do that on my '88 Golf for a while, some years back...
Old 09-09-2005, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just in case it helps, here are the terminals. Red arrow=12v. Green=said solenoid tab, wire from ignition switch. Their proximity makes it real easy to short with a screwdriver.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Porschefan

Randy, thanks for the picture. Uhm, wow, that's about as simple as it could possibly be. If I had a blushing smiley, I'd use it.

I guess the only reason I never thought to do that on my old Golf was that the starter was right there in front, and no more than 18" from the battery. I remember I had some speaker zip cord lying around, and off I went...

Update: Wow. Yeah, that took all of two seconds. So, time to trace the ignition switch wiring... Can we work that photo into the FAQ or an article so others can avoid this embarassment? Seriously, tomorrow I'll take another pic or two to show where the starter is for total newbs without a Haynes handy.

Thanks again everybody.

Last edited by smj; 09-11-2005 at 12:11 AM..
Old 09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So it cranked? If so, I'm guessing cracked ignition switch. There's a tech article HERE on replacing.

Since it's easy to check the connections at the seat belt relay, you might want to check that first. Pull the passenger seat forward and look at the connections at the seat belt interrupt gadget. Particularly the large yellow wire connections. If they are rusty or corroded, maybe you'll get lucky.

At the back of the ignition switch, big red wire (30) is 12v, and yellow (50) goes to starter. You could try shorting those to see if it cranks and confirm it's the ignition switch. When mine went out I installed a temporary toggle switch and push button starter to keep it going.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Porschefan

Well, how 'bout that -- it's officially intermittent, as it's now working again without me disassembling the steering column or fiddling under the dash. I've ordered a replacement ignition switch on the theory that it's likely to go completely sooner or later, and it might be harder to find if it's sufficiently later. Or at the least I'll have it on hand and ready to go in.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
don't overlook that transmission ground strap. They build up internal resistance as well as oxidized ends after a (long) while. If you replace the little stinker, you should probably wire brush or sandpaper the surfaces it bolts to....

My gallery page
Old 09-15-2005, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Porschefan

Yeah, I have yet to go through the car in a serious way, as I haven't had a garage for the past six months (and 3,000 miles - back in Massachusetts). In fact I just registered this car with the CA DMV this morning.

Grounds and wiring will be a major work item. In fact now that I think about it, there's a vestigial alarm system that was allegedly no longer wired but is still tucked up under the dash -- gee, that might be screwing things up too, huh?

So much to do, so much time wasted at work...

Thanks for the tip,
--S.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If it cranked when jumped at the starter, that points elsewhere as it uses the same ground and isolates the ignition switch circuit.

But yes, I agree with SGB about the tranny ground strap... mentioned in my first post. All connections for that matter... clean 'em up. They need it anyway.

smj... let us know what fixes it...
Old 09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Porschefan

Hmmm... To fix it, it would have to stop working again. Forgive me if I don't seem eager for that to happen real soon...

--Steve.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ok, I'm paying attention now. Don't let it remain intermittent... get in there and clean all the grounds! The tranny strap is a pain to get to at the top end, but you need to git-r-done. Also battery terminals and in the trunk around the driver's side tail light. DO THIS. Then if it happens again you'll go back to the ignition switch where I believe the real problem may still remain. :-)
Old 09-16-2005, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Porschefan

I hear you Randy -- especially as this is a new model to me, so there's much to learn about how it's put together. I definitely intend to fiddle with and clean up all manner of things. Closed on the new house Wednesday, so I'll even have a garage to work in soon.

And I'm sure it'll act up again sooner or later, which is why an 15" phillips screwdriver has taken up residence behind the driver's seat.

But I really like the way it's starting when I turn the key, rather then lying on the ground and reaching up past the tailpipe. Though the sparks shure are purdee...
'98 Audi Avant 2.8 wagon (snow buggy) ................ '97 Kawasaki EX-500
Old 09-16-2005, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: