Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Getting it Ready to Paint

Getting ready to start the prep for a new job and I have a couple of questions.
1) On the sides of the 914 there is a piece of material covering the body what leads up to the targa top. On one of the sides of mine there is a small bubble about 2 cm wide. Is this probably a rust spot? The car in general doesn't have any rust. What are my choices on fixing this? I would prefer to keep the "material look" (sorry poor choice of words) rather than what I see most people do just remove the material, repair and paint.

2) Secondy, the rear glass in my 914 is a little loose. I noticed that on a couple of other teeners they have the same problem. Is the fix just buying a replacemet seal that appears to just press in between the glass and body or is there a better fix?

A side note: I just sold my extra orange/gold 75 914 on ebay as a parts car. The interesting thing was I got an email from a collector telling me this was a "rare" and sought after 75 color and I should retain it at all costs. I ran the ad in Pelican and 914club forums but didn't get any feedback???
Thanks again!
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 09-11-2005, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
1 -- Remove the vinyl (and the trim around it), repair the metal, put new vinyl on. Refinish the trim while you're at it.

2 -- Take out the interior panels around the rear window, cut the goop that holds it in, and remove the window. Clean all the goop out of the channel on the body, fix any rust you find, and clean the window very well. Use 1/4" butyl tape to glue the window to the body again. It goes in the channel where the old goo was.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-11-2005, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
In regards to the back window:

I have parted out several 914's and I have noticed that some have loose back windows and some are tight as can be. It looks like Dave has the correct material listed as for "gluing the window" in place.

The rear window is removed from the the inside and you will first have to remove the side pillars that the seat belt rings are mounted to. I would also remove the back pad to give you extra room.

If you've never removed the back pad....remember, it pulls DOWN and not up. If you try and pull it up, you will ruin the rear clips that hold it in place (ask me how I know).

If you are painting the car, I would reccomend keeping the window out until the car is painted (as well as the backpad and interior).

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-12-2005, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When it comes to 914 ownership, don't confuse rare (if it even is) with valuable. If you can get some money to dump into the other resto then all the better.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: