Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

how not to melt clutch/speedo cables w/headers

the '74 1.8 I picked up has headers. Clutch and speedo cable housings are melted and compromised, even though most of the header pipes are wrapped in what-appears-to-be fiberglass bandage.

I replaced the cables and bought some heat-shield tubing from a racing-supply type outfit, which I put the cables through as they traverse the header pipes.

I'm skeptical that this will last, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Any suggestions or clever ideas on how to keep the cables farther away? They seem perilously close to the pipes.

'74 1.8
Old 09-15-2005, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
N-Gruppe doesn't exist

Location: *%@#ing GPS, where am I? Oh wait I see the Space Needle.
Send a message via AIM to teenerted1
they run up the middle on my 73 2.0 no where near the exaust. maybe you shoud rerouth them
'70 911T 3.0L "SKIPPY" R-Gruppe #477
'73 914 2.0L SOLD bye bye "lil SMOKEY"
"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is SILVER.
other flat fours:'77 VWBus 2.0L & 2002 ImprezaTS 2.5L
Old 09-15-2005, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "bandage" is also known as "header wrap". It serves two purposes--to keep heat in the headers (which promotes exhaust flow and keeps the heat from affecting the rest of the stuff around it as much), and to promote rust on the header pipes. OK, the second one is unintentional, but it is a very well-known side effect.

I agree with Ted--reroute the cables so they don't rub on the pipes. There should be a reasonably clear pathway. Tie-wrap the cables to whatever you need to (even each other!) to keep them off the headers.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It may sound horrible, but I've got pretty big "binder clips" clipped onto the p-brake cables (they get close to the heat exchangers on my car, not the clutch/ speedo but the idea transfers) with the handles flipped up as a stand-off from the HE. It is really simple, but gives me about an inch air gap. I kinda thought the clips would be sorta...sacrificial, but they seem to be weathering well. You could try it. hey I work for the Government reviewing engineering reports- I got binder clips out the wazoo!

My gallery page
Old 09-15-2005, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I, made a cable hanger, out of a piece of steel rod, bent a big U at the cable end a small one at the other end, which I bolted to a trany side cover bolt, right across from the axle, it's angled out about 3" to clear the clutch fork, and gives over an inch of cable's and header clearance, ( European Racing Headers).

The Steel rod has to be stiff enough, not to loose the clutch fork clearance, it will always keep the cables away from the headers but if it's not stiff enough it will hit the clutch fork.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: