Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Heat exchanger exchange?

Is there any advantage to switching from my stock H/E (1975 914) to the earlier type that doesn't bend around from the back? I've got the stock L-Jet FI and stock internals. The only "upgrade" will be an SVDA form Aircooled .net which is being re-curved for this FI system.

I'm thinking that due to the fact that there is no 90* bend in the system, that it might flow better ect. Weigh less too?

Dave, You're the man! I cant believe how forthcomming and quick you are to post replies. Terrific! Thanks!!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, there's an advantage. Not sure how much on a 1.8, but it's responsible for most of the 95->88 HP drop going from the 74 to the 75 2.0.

I think it weighs slightly less, but I'm not sure on that.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-15-2005, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Cool! thats really good to know. I have a line on a system and I wanted to see i it was worth the time/energy to switch.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm in the same boat : 1976 2.0L . My understanding is that the pre-1975 H/E will fit the engine, but the flanges at the rear are different and won't mate to the muffler system. Ours have a 3-hole triangular pattern, whereas the older ones have a 4-hole, trapezoiudal pattern. So then you have to replace the muffler/cat/muffler business AND the muffler hanger as well.

I'm no expert, but that's my understanding of the situation. Anyone care to chime in ?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
yes, I htink that prettty well sums it all up. Apparently the muffler hanger is sometimes difficult to find. Seems like I've seen several WTB adds looking for those. What I'm wondering is why Porsche put in the bend....

My gallery page
Old 09-15-2005, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Does anyone have a pic of the hanger? I can probably get some one to make one if I had to. Sorry, I know that probably ofends a few of you " stock cats". This car is not a show winner so I'm not worried about remaining authentic.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'll try to take a pic tonight. It really should be a pretty easy fabrication. Its pretty much a flat piece.

My gallery page
Old 09-16-2005, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

if you go to the "Resources, Parts, Products" forum at www.914club.com, you will find a member that produces the replacement hanger for the early 2.0 heat exchanger conversion.

k
Old 09-17-2005, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I check it out... thanks!
Old 09-17-2005, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
To answer the first question: I would think that the older style heat exchangers (either 1.8/1.7/or 2.0) would be better than the 75/76 style simply because the 75/76 style have two pipes merging into one on each side. This has got to be more restrictive and reduce horse power a little bit.

If you are starting from scratch and going to be replacing both the exchangers and the exhaust.....I would look for a 2.0 setup (even if you have a 1.8). The 2.0 setup will fit any engine as long as you use both the exchangers and the muffler.

The 2.0 exchangers have less bends in them and I believe the diameter is a tiny bit larger which will help be less restrictive.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-17-2005, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

oh btw the stock 1.8 dizzy is one of the best stock dizzys you can get. it has the proper advance curve for the motor. if you dizzy it not worn out you will not really gain much by getting rid of it. just put in some kind of electronic ign and be done with it.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: