Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'73 2.0 wreck

It's been a while since I've participated in any of the 914 boards, mostly because my 75 2.0 daily driver has been running great for the last 6-or-so years. But I'm about to start on a new project and I could use a little advice.

Through a very reliable source I'm buying a '73 2.0 that has rear-ended another car. The car probably can't be fixed without a pretty serious investment but it was a very clean car before the accident. The engine was recently professionally rebuilt (6000 miles) and the tranny was "refreshed" with new synchros and inspection at the same time.

My '75 engine and tranny are getting pretty tired (with over 200k miles on them) so I was going to install the '73's engine in my 75 (and keep the all original '75, smog legal just in case I ever decide to restore my car to all-original, or they change the smog laws in CA).

The transmission didn't fare so well in the accident and both the rear mounting "ears" both snapped in the accident. So (finally) here is my question. Is it possible to simply swap the rear half of the case from my tranny with the "broken" but rebuilt tranny? (ie can a mix-and-match tranny case pieces? i know this is no-no for engines)

Also...I'm going to have a bunch of parts coming off this car that are in pretty good to excellent shape when I'm done with the engine--the car was very well taken care of. Let me know if you need anything, I'd like to find a good home for this stuff.

Thanks--sorry for being so long-winded.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Wow Bryan, I wished I lived in Half Moon Bay. That place is just beautiful. That little open air restaraunt/ fish market, the kite sailors (sailers?). I can't imagine whay you couldn't "merge" the transmissions. I've never operned mine ("side shifter"), but I believe from what I have read that when you pull it apart, varios shafts and synchros come with it, so it prolly isn't just a "swap covers" deal.

My gallery page
Old 09-15-2005, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The mounting ears are on the end cover. The only stuff attached to the end cover is the speedo drive shaft. There isn't anything precision-machined that is put together by mating or removing the cover, so you can swap them around all you like.

You can't swap the intermediate plates that easily, because just about everything important is attached to the intermediate plate.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-16-2005, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks! This was exactly what I was hoping.

Bryan
Old 09-16-2005, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Oh, and yes Half Moon Bay is a great place to live if you can handle a couple months of 60deg fog in the summer (when 10 miles away it's sunny and 80deg)...but it is the perfect place to own a 914--tons of empty twisty mountain roads through the redwoods...
Old 09-16-2005, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bkearney
i need the cooling impelar for a 73 2.0... if that is part of the for sale list, please let me know,.. i am pulling the engine today,.. e-mail me at bkearney@vectorrealty.com or call 727-455-5150 if you or anyone else has one.... THanks
Old 09-17-2005, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Put a note in our "914 Parts for sale/Wanted" BBS, and the similar one on the 914club site. Or look through the listings.

BTW, you can use any 914 fan, not just the 2.0 one. If you get one that isn't D-jet (1.7 or 2.0 914) you will have to make some timing marks on it; not a big deal. I recommend also painting parts of the fan that are easier to see than the little base part where the stock timing and TDC marks are. I also recommend making a mark at 180 degrees out from TDC--it can come in handy sometimes.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-17-2005, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: