Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to bkearney
what is this?

I'm going to drop the engine out this weekend,... the only piece i am not sure of is a cable that runs to the very back of the tranny.... i cant tell if its a cable, or a fluid line, and i don't know what it would be. ALSO, does anyone have any pointers for dropping the engine,... i have looked it over,... seems to be straight foreword... but any suggestions would help,.. i still haven't purchased the Haynes manual,.. so I'm basically going to wing it,...

and just an update,... i had posted about possible overheating,.. and Ive found that the cooling fan is missing about 1/3 of its blades,... they all got spit out on top of the cylinders,...
also,.. the oil leak was coming from the drIvers side valve cover,.. can i purchase a new gasket from auto zone,.. or make one out of gasket material,.. or is this something i need to order???
thanks again,.. you all have been very helpful,...

sorry,.. i always forget,.. its a 73, 2.0 914

Last edited by bkearney; 09-16-2005 at 06:55 AM..
Old 09-16-2005, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The cable you refer to is for the speedo. It just unscrews. Make sure you remove the ground strap on top of the tranny before you drop the motor...
Old 09-16-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks,..
Old 09-16-2005, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There is a pretty good article in the tech section on dropping a motor. You might also check out the 914club web-site for additional info. As for the valve cover gaskets, you can get them at any vw shop. The cooling fan blades you are missing will impact cooling. I'm suprized you don't have a vibration issue. Put a WTB ad in the classifieds here and on the 914club board for an impeller fan.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thats the spirite! Jump in and do it! But you should probably at least read the artical on how to BEST perform an engine drop. I've never done a 914 but I've done it in my VW bus a couple of times and it took a LONG time the first time... the second time was shorter.

I'm planning my first for the 914 next week and I'm a little nervous because of how low the car sits...How high should it be jacked up? Can anybody give an actuall hight?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Saw a thread somewhere (who knows where- I've been doing a lot of reading lately) where there was a tape measure. Somewhere around 22" I think but that would be sensitive to the clearance height of your jack. No big sweat though if you have a second jack you can always lift the body a little higher if it wont come back

Saw another article (maybe here?) where the author suggested lowering the car onto a furniture cart, unbolting the mounts then picking up the body. It might take a little more time than the classic drop but it sounds like you would have a lot more control. If you do the classic drop, it is really good to have an extra set of hands around to balance the engine as it comes down.

Steve
Old 09-16-2005, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you find yourself need another couple of inches when pulling the motor from under the car you can yank the rear valance.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

y is this soo hard to figure out,.. y cant we measure the height of the lowest and highest point and give some room for error,...???? seems reasonable,... i am not worried about it at this moment because i have 6 ton Truck jacks,.. haha and the front is up on ramps,... but i am doing this today and i will let you all know
Old 09-17-2005, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I have found that the highest setting of my jack stands is what I need to drop the engine. The rear valance is long gone, and I remove the air cleaner and throttle body, oil filler neck, and dipstick before I try to pull the thing out.

This is with the engine balanced on a floor jack; your needs will vary depending on the height of your engine-pulling implements and how much you take off the top of the engine.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-17-2005, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: