Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question rear shift linkage question

I finally got around to dropping my engine today ('74 2.0L), and was planning on replacing all the transmission bushings as per the instructions in the Pelican article (which was extremely helpful, btw). I got the front and rear shift linkage disconnected, and removed both cone screws, but I could not figure out how to replace the bushing that the rear shift linkage passes through (the one that goes through a little holder by the shift rod head).

Does the shift rod head come off somehow? I beat the heck out of it, and couldn't get it off...What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance,
bri
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

check out the pelican diagram at url:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/Parts/Pedals/shift_linkage_side_big.htm

if recall correctly, part #23 (in diagram) tapered screw comes out, then #24 shift rod head slipped right off. I had no problems with mine. If yours is somehow galled on or otherwise affixed in place, it sounds like something is wrong.

for what it's worth, also check out the roll pin in the shift selector. My had slop in it. I can't see a part #, but in diagram url:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/Parts/Transmission/shift_rods_big.htm

it's position is the circle in part#6 (ball-joint lever), and affixes that to part #7 (shift-lever shaft)

I did get a replacement rollpin and pressed it in using a vice.

'74 1.8
Old 09-17-2005, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That's what I was afraid of, I think maybe the PO welded the shift rod head on there or something. Maybe I'll try a torch and see if a little heat will loosen it up. 15 minutes of hammering sure didn't work... I had to leave the rear linkage connected to the engine when I dropped it.

I'll have to add that pin to my next order, thanks for the tip!
Old 09-17-2005, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Might be easier to deal with on the bench. Remove entire console/shift fork assembly (parts 5 through 10). With tranny in neutral, remove the two 13mm nuts and withdraw along with your rear shift rod. If you need to replace roll pin(s) it is best done on the bench anyway.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: