Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Intermittent headlights

I had this happen a coupple of weeks ago, and again tonight.

My headlights suddlenly go off. Then on. Then off. They don't blink rapidly as if a loose wire were responding to road vibration. Rather, its sort of a 10-20 second cycle. Like something heats up, stops conducting, then cools off, starts conducting, etc. (just an idea...).

When the headlights go out, it's alway both sides together. The driving lights and instrument lights stay on.

I've checked fuses, and tried rotating them around and around to get a good seat. No change.

I get no response whatsoever if I wiggle the headlight switch. (Thank goodness!)

One suspicion I have is that I saw an old post (TidyBuoy ?) about something similar happeneing as a result of a short in the steering column. Now it's true, I did pull & replace the steering columnn today, and the first time it happened was after some steering column work. But the strange thing is that the first time it happened, I didn't even have the turn signal plug connected. (Yeah, not real smart, but it was only for a test drive.) So there couldn't have been a short in there then.

Anyway, what's the idea ? What, specifically, is it in the steering column that would cause the headlights to go out ?

Also, which relay is the bright/dim relay for the headlights. I did notice a mnoth or so ago, that the relay was slow to respond : I had to hold the high beam wand up to get it to change; I'd like to check that out.

Thx,
Jeff
Old 09-17-2005, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Okay, so after posting this last night I was able to confirm that it is indeed in the steering column. By pulling & twisting on the wheel, I could make the lights switch on/off. So I took the turn signal assembly out of the column, separated the turn signal part from the winshield wiper part, and looked at the wires. Didn't see anything at all that looked like it was contacting anything. I did make sure, however, to press all of the wires into the molded plastic grooves meant to hold them (a few were out). Put everything together w/ special attention to electrical stuff. Went for a drive. Problem fixed (but not solved.)

I'm still curious, though about the headlight dimmer relay : anybody know which one it is ?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It is probably the square one on top of the fuse panel. Check the colors of the wires going to it against the colors in the wiring diagram. If the colors match those going to the relay in the diagram, you've found it.

Not sure what could have been causing your initial problem, though.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Lightbulb 2+2

Gotta be the high/low switch! Thats the only connection that effects both lights, and it is in the steering column, and it is not part of the TS switchiing. Dontcha think?

My gallery page
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: