Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

why are throwout bearings so $$$

darn, they are pretty exspensive!! why is that? i thought market prices were driven by demand. i mean HOW many people need one for a 914? the robot in washington should investigate this situation and have karl rove take the appropriate measures.

k
Old 09-21-2005, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
They are expensive cuz too many people have thrown them out and there isn't many left.

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 09-21-2005, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

see if you can determine the bearing size and type (should be some number stamped into the sides. You may be able to buy a "generic" bearing from someone like Timken.

It has been about 3 years since I did my tranny, but I tried this with my mainshaft bearing. Long story short, all bearing suppliers said the dimensions I gave them were "Porsche" specialty, one was even able to track the manufacturer to some German company (can't remember name) and was able to get me something, but it was even more expensive.

So...good luck.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
You answered your own question - Market prices are driven by demand. How many people need one for a 914? not too many.

And, thanks to my recent tax cuts.....$100 for a throw out bearing seems cheap!
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 09-21-2005 at 01:58 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

yikes!! i better dig out the ziploc full of long oem lugs. they should finance a few tob.

k
Old 09-24-2005, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a customer of mine with an early 944. Everytime I quote him a price on something it is usually "HOLY COW!" or "OUCH!". I have told him to sell the car many times and buy a Camaro or something.

Quit your *****en K, you know the 914 rule:

It's a VW when you go to sell it or parts for it, but a Porsche when you go to buy it or buy parts for it.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

that makes me feel SO much better dan. thank you.

k
Old 09-28-2005, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm here to help buddy.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: