Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Houston...we have a problem

Ive got a 73' 1.7 and I ordered an air filter from the guys here at Pelican. It was back ordered and now Im told its NLA. I did however find a few filters on EBay and ordered a couple. So Im good to go for quite awhile. That said, is this going to be a problem? Is there a VW filter out there thats going to fit? This is the Round filter. Just a heads up.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I too ordered a "Mann" filter off eBay. Cheap, cheap shipping too. But, it didn't fit. It stated it would fit type IV vee-dubs and "70-74" 914s. I should've known it might be questionable, since there are several different possibilities for air cleaners on our 70-74 914s, from oil-bath to square filters. Anyway, it was too thick to close the top of the '73 air filter housing. Darn.

I have ordered one from ***********, part R022129620. Hopefully it fits...

-TH
Old 09-21-2005, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Goge
Anyway, it was too thick to close the top of the '73 air filter housing. Darn.

-TH [/B]
Rut Ro. And I ordered two.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, check and see if they fit anyway. Wanna buy a third one?? Cheap!

I'll let you know if the *********** filter fits OK. I think it was like $14.

I just got this '73 housing (I have a '72 1.7 with oil-bath) so I'm hoping it is the correct one and all. It does not have a "warm-air" inlet/thermostat (sucks heated air from under the tin when the motor's cold) on it. My oil-bath did. So I'm not sure it came off of a 914 really. Does yours have a warm-air intake on it?

-TH
Old 09-22-2005, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

TH, not sure mine is the correct housing either. The reason I say that is because where the housing connects to the rubber boot (intake) the plastic has been "massaged" lol. It looks like its been heated and crimped down to fit, as if it were a smidge too large before.

Mine has 2 lines leading to it. I dont know if thats the warm air you speak of or not. One of the lines connects to a fitting above the fan housing and the other connects to a long tube along the firewall.

My housing does have a lot of info on the lid. Its got a VW insignia and a small Knecht insignia also. It has the number

022129607H and another number LP539/2

It also states on the cover that "Filter Element 022129620
Old 09-22-2005, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Trexx-
That filter number matches what I ordered from AA. The # is on the top of my housing too.

I was talking about the air intake inlet. My housing just has a 'trumpet' sticking out the side that sucks in fresh air (from the driver's side I believe).

My old oil-bath had a fresh air inlet, but also a secondary air inlet that attached to silver ducting that was routed down thru the engine tin to pickup warm air coming off the cylinders. There is a flap in there that's some kind of thermostat, sucks in warmer air from the cylinders when the car (or maybe outside air?) is cold. Then supposedly switches over to the cold-air intake as things warm up.

I'm not worried about the new housing not having the warm-air ducting... just curious what the stock '73 1.7 had on there.

-Todd
Old 09-22-2005, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No warm air ducting. And my snorkel points to the passenger side near the battery.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Snorkel... that's the word I was looking for! I like that word, fun to say.

Thanks for the info.

I guess my snorkel could point that way... there are two arrows that line up the top to the base, 180 degrees from each other. I think it could go together two ways and still have the arrows line up. I'll have to check it out when I get home. Hopefully my AA parts show up today.

-TH
Old 09-22-2005, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 72s were the only ones that had the warm-air system on them. And, from what I can tell, a lot of 72s only had "some" of the pieces. Sounds like yours actually has all of them and was functional!

Not important, IMHO. I wouldn't bother keeping that functionality. I would, however, seal off the "escape path" for warm air to get above the engine tin.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks Dave, I plan on closing off that hole in the tin and not worrying about warm-up air. I'll keep the old oil-bath housing just in case they start auctioning them off for thousands.

I'm hoping that the paper element filter will keep the top of my motor a little less oily. Do those oil-bath things leak somehow? I don't see where else the grime could come from, but who knows.

And bad news, I got my AA order today- the filter is on backorder. I'll try to contact them and see what's up.

-Todd
Old 09-22-2005, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Goge, I recieved my filters from Ebay. One was a Mann and the other was a Roko. The Mann was apparently the same filter as I had in my car. I measured the thickness of the Mann vs the Roko and found that the Mann was 3.25" vs 3.00 for the Roko. Now when looking at my original Mann I could see that it had been deformed by squeezing it in the fiter housing. That said, it did seal. There was no dirt that ever got past the filter. This time though I installed the Roko. It was a better looking filter. It had a metal mesh on the outside and a metal screen on the inside. Its a good thing this filter was the correct size because that mesh and screen would have kept the filter from being squeezed to fit.

Both of the filters arrived in box's that looked like theyd been shipped around the world on the back of a donkey, LOL. I half expected to find "used" filters inside. Anyway Im good to go for quite awhile.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hey, that sounds great. I'll be using the filter I got off of eBay too, now. There is a "bead" or "ridge" that runs around the ID of the filter, i'ts maybe 0.25" high. One on each side.
See picture.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

One one side of the filter, I trimmed off the bead with a sharp X-acto. Now it seems to fit fine.

The filter media itself is about 3" tall, maybe a tad less. With two of those beads present, it would be 3.5" tall or so. But, with just one bead now it should be something like 3.25" tall. I think it seals just fine.

-TH
Old 09-25-2005, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: