Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Help! Weird Oil Pressure Setup

Hi all, 1970 914-4 2.0 w/ Weber 40's

Sprung the infamous "oil cooler leak". Tracked it down to the oil pressure switch hole.

Turns out the PO installed a 6 inch pipe into the oil pressure hole. He then mounted a Y coupling on the end of it and attached pressure and temp senders.
So, with this whole assembly sitting up on a "stalk" out of the engine over time, the pipe has weakened and snapped at the base leaving about a 1/2 inch of hollow thread in the hole with nothing to grab on to.

Questions:
- Has anyone ever seen or done this setup?
- Any suggestions on unthreading the broken piece threaded in the hole?

Many thanks, Speed
Old 09-22-2005, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have had similar instances on a small block Ford - they used an aluminum extention piece that threaded in the block, and then the pressure sensor threaded into it.

It isn't uncommon to get one that it was either broken off, or in one instance, I had it break off trying to remove it. I don't know what diameter hole in the center you have, but you can try an EZ out if you can get one that fits.

If it is really thin, you can also take a punch, pick an edge and hammer towards the center (so it folds in on itself). Then you can usually dig it out with some needle nose pliers (doesn't work on the Ford since the center diam is so small - this works assuming you just have standard pipe tubing).

Worst case, and I had this on my Mustang that broke off while removing it, I had to drain the oil, plug the breathers, force a ton of compressed air into the oil fill to get really good air flow out of the hole. I then had to drill out the center REALLY slow rpm to get nice big chuncks, and had a fellow mechanic hold a shop vac up to the area to try and suck back all the chips so they wouldn't go into the engine. Use a left-handed drill bit if this is what it comes down to, as after a few good "grabs" from the bit and a fair amount of material removed, the chunk backed itself out.

Only drill assuming the pipe is parallel to the ground or points down (I don't remember the orientation on a 4cyl). If the sensor is on top and points up, then the chips will fall into the engine no matter what you do, so don't drill that. Be careful with EZ outs in that orientation too that you don't spin it and drop chunks into the system.

Good luck - always gotta love the PO issues. I feel your pain!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: