Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

weber conversion

Well, I'm getting around to swapping engines...my "new" engine has webers and my old has the FI.

How do I handle the fuel pump? The "donor" car had an aftermarket fuel pump and an adjustable pressure regulator. Can I simply use the stock fuel line setup and put the low pressure adjustable regulator before the carbs (and let the fuel recirculate like the stock setup)? Or do I need to use the aftermarket fuel pump and plug one of the lines from the tank?

My car is a '75 so the fuel pump is up front. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance...

Bryan
Old 09-25-2005, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would replace the FI fuel pump with a low-pressure unit, and block off the return fuel line. I experimented once with an adjustable regulator but it was not designed to accept the high pressure from an FI pump and it did not regulate correctly. I have also modified stock FI pumps (the older style) by changing its relief valve pressure. This works but with these old pumps I'd usually end up with a small leak after taking it apart. It's not worth taking the chance with in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I guess my goal is to be able to put back the original engine if I ever decide to rebuild it...Should I just remove the original fuel pump, block the return to the tank, leave the original filter, connect it to the fuel line, mount the low pressure pump to the sheet metal of the engine? Should I just power it from the coil?

This seems like it would be the easiest to put back if smog pumps, and EGRs ever come back in style....
Old 09-25-2005, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
JW Apostate

I suggest that you use the Holley red fuel pump and the holley one-in-two-out pressure regulator.

You can use the terminal for the stock fuel injection harness to take power for the fuel pump. It only powers up with the key on.

KT

'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks. I'll look into the holley regulator. The donor car has a facet fuel pump that seems pretty loud to me (clicks). Is the Holley quieter? Is there a problem with using the coil power to power the fuel pump?...I want to keep the old FI harness whole and I'm not sure that I can find the proper plug to go into the relay board.

Thanks

Bryan
Old 09-27-2005, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by trekkor
I suggest that you use the Holley red fuel pump and the holley one-in-two-out pressure regulator.

You can use the terminal for the stock fuel injection harness to take power for the fuel pump. It only powers up with the key on.

KT

I, don't think you can use the terminal for the stock fuel pump, I believe it has a pressure sensor in the system. When you turn the key on, the pump runs till it gets the pressure then shuts off, with all the FI componets removed, that terminal wont work.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

here's a simple way to power the pump for carbs. with the relay in place and relay board fuse in place, simply run a wire from this 4 prong connector to the ground bundle just forward of the relay board. i use the self-regulated rotary from cb performance. make up a little harness to hook the pump up to the stock f.p power.

k
Old 09-28-2005, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: