Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ghost (noise) in the machine.

I've had a wierd noise appear. For a while now, when I back out of a parking place (especially when the steering wheel's turned to the right) I get a wwooooooooo sounding hum from the front end while the wheel is turning, but it's never done this going forward......until now.

So I'm driving down the road, and this eerie, ghostly moan starts coming from the front end. It's very akin to the sound of a finger running around the rim of a wine glas....only a lot louder. It stops if I barely touch the brake. It seems more apparent if the force of the steering wheel is to the left (like when you are going straight but the crown of the road in the right lane makes you steer barely left to stay straight).

I know the brake pads in disk systems inconsequently drag on the rotor without pressure when the brake isn't applied, but could my pad/rotor be making enough contact to make this kind of noise? And why would something most assuredly brake or hub related have anything to do with the steering direction?

I'd like some ideas before I start taking things apart. Any help?

--Case...
Old 09-28-2005, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Front wheel bearings. Sounds to be bad enough to warrant replacement.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
yep. It is pretty straightforward. Usually the bearings (should) get replaced when front brake rotors are replaced- because the hub and brake rotor are all one pieces. Good ol' Peeliceen has both. So on my last brake job I replaced the bearings, and it was not difficult, just a little dirty and time consuming. Make sure you tighten the axle nut down tight enough. After a couple of weeks, I rechecked mine and the things tightened almost a full turn!
b

My gallery page
Old 09-28-2005, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: