Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tank to injector fuel line questions

On the top part of my 2.0L motor, the PO used 1/4" (6.35mm) high-pressure fuel hose rather than OEM 7mm (probably because 1/4" is more readily available). Just how bad of an idea is that? Or can one get away with it long term by just turning the hose clamp screw a few more times?

My other questions have to do with Wayne's fuel line replacement tech article.

A few things I noticed: 1) he uses rigid brake line, 2) he uses English sizes.

1. Why use rigid brake line? Why not use 7mm & 9mm flexible fuel hoses that clamps easily, bends easily, mates to existing parts easier, etc. Why mess with fittings, Teflon tape, pipe bending, etc.

2. Why use English sizes? Why not keep everything metric? Or doesn't it really make a difference as long as it's "close" and doesn't leak?

BTW: DD -- I'm sure you've heard it a million times before, but thanks for the hose diagram. It's very useful!
Old 01-24-2001, 07:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have used heavy wall aluminum tubing *available at finer plumbing stores near you* in the engine bay with great results. Its inexpensive to boot. It is stout enough to be very durable and resist internal fuel pressures, yet bends easily enough by hand to conform to tight radius turns. If I ever need to replace the center tunnel fuel lines I would probably use this aluminum tubing, but wrap it in shrink wrap or tape to isolate it from rubbing against the body and to prevent it from making noises in the tunnel. No fittings or bending tools needed.

No I'm not a llllawyer but just for the record...because this is pressurized fuel were talking about, enter at your own risk and assume your own Liability for any damage you may have. I am merely sharing my own experiences...yours may be different...
Old 01-24-2001, 07:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think 1/4" ID hose is OK. The "7mm" that is on my diagram is merely the diameter of the fittings that the hoses go on to. As long as the hoses don't leak, you're OK.

As for why you don't use hoses in the center tunnel, you can't see anything in there. It would be very difficult to route the (very flexible) hoses such that they didn't rub on anything. And if they do rub, you can't see it. You won't know anything until you're suddenly sitting in a puddle of gas. (See the earlier post "why you need a fire extinguisher" for one possible result of that.) With hard lines, you know where they will be going, and they won't move around. Plus, they are more durable than rubber hoses, which really ought to be changed every two years or so.

BTW, you're welcome for the diagram. I drew it when I needed to replace my vac hoses (and again when I replaced the fuel hoses). Eventually, it wound up on line. That's another reason to make notes when you do "interesting" stuff to your car.

--DD
Old 01-24-2001, 08:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Interesting...after calling a local racing shop and two local if-we-don't-have-it-no-one-in-town-does parts suppliers, I found none sold metric 7MM or 9MM ID hose, just English.

That probably explains why people switch to English, because you can't get metric anywhere.

...except here, PP does sell 7mm & 8mm hose.
Old 01-24-2001, 11:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 72_914
If you are interested in high pressure fuel fittings and hoses, check out this months issue of Hot Rod Magazine. It has a nice article on the subject.
Old 01-25-2001, 01:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Tim:

If you are looking for the hose and don't necessarily want to wait for them to be shipped, try a VW shop. I'm not sure if there are that many in Wisconsin, but several here in So. Cal.

------------------
Herb
Old 01-25-2001, 11:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: