Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
More on Crane XR3000

please ignore

[This message has been edited by pbanders (edited 04-20-2001).]
Old 02-11-2001, 06:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Brad:
Curious why it wouldn't work with your Bosch blue? I assume the Crane is an optical unit (excuse my ignorance.) I have a Pertronix magnetic unit and am very happy with (especially considering it only costs $70.00)

Regards
Old 02-11-2001, 05:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
please ignore

[This message has been edited by pbanders (edited 04-20-2001).]
Old 02-11-2001, 08:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had the 700 installed, on my 1.7 FI, by a certified Porsche mechanic. It was never determined if any advantage was had with the 700 because a different mechanic dropped the 1.7 FI and installed a 2.0 carb.

I requested the mechanic to install the 700 on the new engine -- he said he did, along with the distributor. He later said the engine wouldn't start with the old distributor and 700, so he used the original distributor off the 2.0, but also used the 700.

After further checking my 2.0, I noticed my 700 is in my car, but not connected. The original distributor still has the points and condenser on it. I asked him why and he said it won't work, it's all burned up. (it wasn't burned up on the 1.7) I still have to get the 1.7 distributor to get the 700 parts that were left in it.

Does anybody know if I can use the 700, from the 1.7 FI, on the 2.0 carb? I didn't think a 1.7 distributor could be used on a 2.0. can anybody confirm that? If they can't, maybe he thought it only works with a 1.7 FI and that's why he gave up trying to install it.

Thank you for any comments on this matter. If anybody wants to know why I switched from 1.7 FI to 2.0 carb, that's another story. Those interested let me know.

Old 02-12-2001, 04:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have both a 1.7 and 2.0 and while I have had both distributors apart, I never had them side by side to compare. If memory serves they were absolutely identical, but then again, I never compared them lobe for lobe. It's a good question and perhaps tomorrow I can pull the one in the 2.0 out and take a look.

FWIW I have heard a few tales of the Pertronix units failing, but I bought mine from a dune buggy place here in San Diego and these guys swear by them. Wouldn't drive 2 feet off the shoulder without one.

Motor On!

------------------
Herb
'72 1.7 Tangerine 'Teen
'74 2.0 Red Rustmobile
Old 02-12-2001, 05:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The distributors are completely interchangeable. They are not exactly identical, because the advance curves are slightly different. But they can swap parts with each other and either one will fit on any 914 engine.

--DD
Old 02-12-2001, 08:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Thanks Dave.

But now I have another question. What would prevent the 1.7 distributor to not work on the 2.0? Is it simply a bad distributor, or is the 700 fouling it up?

The 1.7 was running with the 1.7 distributor attached to the 700.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2001, 01:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: