Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1.7 cutting out at temp

Recently purchased '71 1.7 914. Engine just resealed. Both temp sensors replaced. Engine just passed smog this weekend. Here is the problem. When the engine is cold it runs beautifully, as it come up to temp is starts to cut out at about 3500 RPM. As the engine gets hotter the problem gets worse and lower in the RPM range until at about 2,000 ~ 2,500 RPM it is spitting & sputtering so bad that 25MPH is tops. I have tried a different distributor and got the same results. PLEASE HELP.
Old 08-10-1998, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
If both temp sensors have been replaced I guess the brain would be suspect. Before getting a new one check that the spark plugs are the correct heat range, I don't know if too hot a plug could cause detination as the temp increases, but it is a cheap thing to check.
Old 08-10-1998, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check the ingition system first. It's almost certainly not the problem, but check it anyway.

Next, check the resistance of the head temp sensor. I know you said it was new, but check it anyway. When warm, the resistance should be close to zero.

Check the connector between the sensor and the wiring harness. Check the wiring between the connector and the ECU ("brain"). You can also check the whole thing as a unit by pulling the connector off the ECU (you'll have to take the box out of the car first) and checking the resistance from that pin on the ECU connector to ground. When the engine is warm, it should be close to zero.

If that passes, start checking FI components. Kjell Nelin's article on Tim's Fan Page (914fan.net) has most of the relevant tests.

A note: The brains *almost* never go bad. I have only heard of two times in the past decade of a bona-fide ECU failure that wasn't caused by BIG rust holes through the box that contains the electronics.

--DD
Old 08-10-1998, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: