Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smokey Starts?

I have a '71 914-6 conversion with a '71 911E 2.2 with mechanical fuel injection. When the car sits for several days, especially on a hill, I get plumes of bluish smoke when I start the car. It takes approximately 5 minutes or so before the smoke disappears. What is the likely culprit?
Old 08-13-1998, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
With the 911 engines some smoke on start-up is pretty normal. B/c of the air and oil-cooled nature of the cars, the blue-smoke you describe is probably perfectly normal, particularly after the car has sat for several days. Five minutes may a bit long - my '67 911 used to emit a puff on start-up, but nothing prolonged. One thing you might want to check just for kicks are the oil-return tubes and valve covers - these frequently "seep" oil into the heat exchanges as the seals get old and wear out. This might give you some smoke until the oil burns out of the exhaist system...
Old 08-16-1998, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: