Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Pressure?

I have a '71 914-6 conversion with a '71 911E 2.2 with mechanical fuel injection. When I bought the car, the oil pressure gauge was not functioning. I have since replaced the sender unit and I now have measurable pressure. When I first start the car(cold) the idle pressure is around 25lbs. and 60lbs. under load. Once the car gets hot(I live in Las Vegas with temps. around 110 degrees)the idle pressure is about 5lbs. and 50-60lbs. under load. Does this sound right and if not, what do you think might be wrong? Any suggestions on oil i.e., brand, weigth?
Old 08-13-1998, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, but I have no idea what the psi ratings are on my 911SC oil gauge, but here's my understanding with the bar readings...

When cold, a 911 engine will probably give you anywhere b/w 3.5 and 5 bar on the oil pressure gauge. The pressure will fall as the engine heats up.

Once completely warm, you should get ~1 bar pressure for every 1,000 rpm's. In other words, at idle with a warm engine it is perfectly normal to have a pressure reading of ~1 bar (in fact, the 911SC owner's manual suggests that it may be normal for the oil pressure warning light to come on with a warm engine at idle!). At 3500-4000 rpm you should get 3.5 to 4 bar on your pressure gauge. My guess is that the readings you're getting are perfectly fine.

With 110 degree temps, I would use a 20W50 oil. A thicker oil will break down less in the heat and will help your oil pressure. I use Castrol GTX - I know some people swear by synthetics, but for the $ and my kind of driving I stick with the Castrol : )
Old 08-16-1998, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
1 bar is about 14.8 PSI.

Bruce Anderson's rule of thumb (for 911s in particular) is that you should start to worry when you have less than 10 PSI per 1000 RPMs on a warmed-up engine.

Oil pressure should go up more or less linearly with RPM until you open up the pressure control valve (or is it the pressure relief valve?). At that point, the rise in pressure will stop. Cold pressures will be higher than warm pressures since cold oil is thicker than warm.

So, unless you mean "really wound up" when you say "under load", the bottom end of the motor is probably in reasonable shape.

--DD
Old 08-17-1998, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: