Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Distributor vacumn lines, 1974 2.0

I am finishing up some work on a 1974 2.0. I have replaced every piece of rubber on the top of the motor. I can not find where to attach both distributor vacumn lines. The line exiting towards the cap is now hooked up to the throttle body. The line that exits away from the distributor cap has no where to go. The car is all original, one owner, but several hackers have worked on it, leaving screws, grommets, and other stuff missing. Is it possible that there is a "T" fitting missing. I have tried using the shop manual but the diagrams a terrible. Any help for this rookie would be great. Thanks in advance
Old 08-14-1998, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

These guys have an excellent COLOR diagram of all the vacuum lines and where they go. On our 1974 914, there are two fittings on the throttle body, one has vacuum and one does NOT while running. The one with the vac hooks to the retard side of the distributor (close to the rotor) and the one with no vac hooks to the advance side. Only the weights do advancing on 1974's it seems. I even tried switching them, boy oh boy did it run bad.
Old 08-15-1998, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
One of the lines is 4mm the other 5mm.
My guess is that the other vaccuum port is there it is just covered in crud or broken off.
Old 08-16-1998, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Most 74s, and many later cars, do not have a vaccuum advance fitting on the throttle body. However, most or all of these do have the vaccuum advance fittin on the distributor dashpot.

Just leave the hose off. If you are smog-impaired, put a hose on it and run the other end under the manifold somewhere so the inspectors don't ***** about it.

The other option is to either get your TB modified, or to find a 73-style TB with both fittings.

--DD
Old 08-17-1998, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. I feel I am a competant mechanic, and I had everything off the top of the motor, replacing everything rubber. I could not find a single place for the second vacumn line, and it indeed came with about a 3" line that I knew did not reach anything. Car runs grerat, and I feel better about the loose vacumn line. Again, thanks a million.
Old 08-17-1998, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: