Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Talking just bought a 914

This kinda a long post so bare with me. I recently bought a 1969 volkswagen beetle with irs and a 1973 porsche 2.0 with fuel injection. I purchased these cars with the intention of building a fiberfab gt40, which is cloned after the ford Gt40 which is midengined. Now to the porsche. The car has sat for quite some time, about ten years, outside. The car has the typical heavy rust on the jack points but nothing major. The owner said the car has not run for quite some time. I am assuming this is why it was parked. What I need is guidance in which direction to begin in finding out whether or not the motor is operational. Any literature or manuals would be greatly appreciated. I am going to get started on this project in the next couple of months, have to finish another first, but I was looking for a general check list type order to start narrowing down what the car will need. I am not really planning on keeping the car itself. I mainly just need the guts of the car. I know some here might find it sacreligous to dismantly this vehicle but it is only so it may be reborn in a new skin. I know absolutely nothing about porsches. So this will all be a learning experience. The idea is to take the 914 gauges, shifter, transaxle, and engine and mount it to the vw pan. This also brings other questions like, will the brakes change from the porsche to the vw? or will the cv axles connect to the irs off the vw. I am going to try and keep as much of the original geometry on the suspension as possible. I know this is kinda lot to get in one setting but I need a place to start. At current, the engine is my biggest concern. I would like to tear the motor down and make sure everything is right before installation to the new car. The only other thought that crossed my mind was transplanting the GT40 body onto the porsche itself. I hope that you can guide me in the right direction into getting this car back up and running. As for the rest of the car, anything that is not used will be up for grabs. I do not want to start a junkyard and parts for a car I will never use will do me no good. I will either sale them or trade them outright. Thank you.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
That will be a big job, try poking around over on www.shoptalkforums.com. The CV joints are unique to the 914, mounting the shifter for the 901 tranny is a doable job, but you will have to have some metal fabrication skills. germanlook has a nice article on mounting the shifter and transaxle. If the 914 pan is in decent shape, that may make a better base, if you plan to use the drivetrain from it.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How about an adapter for the transamision and put a Ford motor in it? Kennedy Engineered Products, is the name of the adapter company. I think the stock tranny can handle 350 HP. Just a thought. Pete
Old 04-12-2006, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I have been battin that idea around. I still think the air cooled would be much lighter. No water or radiator and all the other goodies that would be required. The only one I thought seriously about was the corvair motor. But I am not sure of the rotation on the crank.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I would fabricate a tube frame for the 914 suspension to go onto.. then from that, put good parts on the 914 suspension and put your GT40 kit on top of that, with a decent engine mounted to the trani. Ford 5.0 would be neat.

All show and no go does nothing.

Go to go along with show is awesome..

Dont throw stock stuff on a bad frame, even the bug chassis.. THats a negative on a negative.. you will not like the ride.

Whats your budget?

Welcome to the 914 world!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: